Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:05 PM   #1

I am using a K10D with a Pentax Af-540FGZ flash. I have tried two different lenses

Sigma - 10-20
Tamron - 24-135

My problem is I need more light on both sides of this flash. The light from the flash is not wide enough on both sides of some large rooms I have to take photos of. I also had the same problem at a dance, only a few couples were covered with this flash. It seems to me that I almost need 3 of these flashes or I need to cover that much area.

Ideas & Suggestions are appriciated.

Thanks in advance

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:58 PM   #2

Hi Roger,

I don't have anything as wide as the 10-17, but for my Sig 17-70 at 17mm, I have found that using a flash modifier helps considerably. I almost always use a Demb bouncer/diffuser, but also have a lightsphere and a Stofen Omnibounce, and they all spread the light adequately for the 17-70. In a pinch, the little flip down diffuser panel on the flash head works, but not as well as the accessory diffusers.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:14 PM   #3

I have a 10-20mm Sigma lens and use a stofen omnibounce and have not had any issues with the light not being wide enough.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:06 PM   #4

Roger, sorry but I'm definitely still learning lighting aspects.

My question is for Scott...what flash are you using with your lightsphere? I have a Sigma ef500st & contacted Gary Fong about getting 1 & they don't make one for my flash. I'm just considering finding a used flash & getting a lightshere for doing weddings & portraits. I really like the concept & it seems like an affordable alternative for getting flashes right.

Thanks,
Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:35 PM   #5

wadue wrote:
Quote:

My question is for Scott...what flash are you using with your lightsphere? I have a Sigma ef500st & contacted Gary Fong about getting 1 & they don't make one for my flash. I'm just considering finding a used flash & getting a lightshere for doing weddings & portraits. I really like the concept & it seems like an affordable alternative for getting flashes right.

Thanks,
RonĀ*
Ron,

Definitely Gary Fong has it. Double check that. You should ask for Sigma model .Do not confuse them with Pentax as essentially it is a Sigma flash.

You may look at this one as well

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lambency-Flash-Di...QQcmdZViewItem
I have the ST lower model as well and I am thinking about that too given it is a lot cheaper. Design wise it is really not a very sophisticated piece of accessory.

That is my input

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:11 PM   #6

wadue wrote:
Quote:

Hi Ron,

I use the LS with the AF 500 FTZ for which it's a tiny bit loose, the AF360 FGZ, which has to be pushed into the inside baffle (you want a tight fit, or else it'll keep falling off -- a little electricians tape does wonders if it's just a little loose), and the AF 540FGZ, for which it's a nice tight fit. The head dimensions of the 540FGZ are: 2.75" x 1.75". I have the P2 sized LS.

The unit that Daniel posted looks like a pretty close knock off, and less than 1/3 of the price of the original.

Another very good alternative is the Demb bouncer/ diffuser. It's very close to the LS in results, is more versatile (the bounce card adds to the useable distance, especially when you don't have a reasonably low ceiling), is very light and compact folded up (fits in a pocket), and fits any sized head. I find myself using the Demb almost all the time because I carry it in the bag all the time. The weight of the LS sometimes makes the head flop on the 540 -- the detents aren't that strong. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote