Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1

I'm looking for a non-bulky protective cover for my DS for doing backpacking over several days. Basically, camera would go in protective cover, which then would be sealed in ziplock bag and placed in pack while hiking. I pack the camera in last so its easier to access and not subjected to the weight of other objects. Generally, one could expect the camera to be subjected to some nudging and jostling, but no major impacts (unless the hiking falls and rolls around).

I thought all that was available was those $70 or so Pentax hard cases (http://www.adorama.com/IPXCSISL.html), then I saw some of these http://www.adorama.com/OTDIGS.html and thought that might be workable. Anyone had experience with these?

Thanks
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:36 AM   #2

While I don't have any experience with this case, it does look to be an affordable version of the body armor that could easily suit your needs (& mine as well). The only thing that I would suggest is contacting amvona just to make sure that they think that it would fit your DS & your choice of walk around lens for your hikes. I'm pretty confident that it would fit your body but you don't want to order it & then it not fit. I can personally say that amvona's Customer Service dept is top notch (IMHO). I had aquestion for them a month after I bought a tripod from them & they responded the next day with a full explanation of what I needed.

So just ask them if they feel that the case will work for your DS & maybe give them an idea of the dimensions with your lens choice on the body. Just to cover yourself before your purchase.

Good luck & thanks for sharing the info...I might have to get one myself!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3

wadue,
Did you have a link to the Amvona armor you were talking about? I went to their site and only saw big hard cases and camera bags.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:44 PM   #4

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the camera armor. What I was referring to a product known as "camera armor" that I had heard about here & had seen in a local camera shop but I thought that it was a little out of my league for my needs.

Here's a link to their site & just click on the camera on the "camera armor" button to get pricing but, once again, just like amvona, they only mention fitting n*k*n & c*n*n bodies. I'm sure that if you contact them, they would tell you which models may or may not work with your DS.

http://www.camerarmor.com/

This product looks to be great if you're concerned with nicks or scratches on your camera or lens butI really like the case that you had found on amvona. Like you said, for times when you don't want to carry a pack but still want to keep it covered.

Hope this helps!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote