Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:31 PM   #1

Hi all

Sorry for this odd post , im a little excited just had confirmation that my shiny new K10 is on its way tomorrow, bounces around

Anyway I had a Fuji 9500 for the last couple of years and whilst it was, sorry is, a great camera for a P&S it left me feeling frustrated with a few things mainly lack of detail in jpegs and oh so slow RAW capture, about 1 frame every 9 seconds. I have captured some good shots with it but felt that the K10 would offer me more room to grow into and develop my creative skills. Judging from the shots Ive seen in this pentax/samsung post I know there are some talented photographers out there, and that the K10 is a camera capable of some great results.

But back to the point of the post, obviously once its in my hands what should I photograph first, ? I want to ensure the camera works well, so is there someone who could help me out with a series of tests i could conduct with the camera to ensure its all working. !

I appreciate this is propably an odd request and I promise any further posts will hopefully make more sense. Below is one of the better shots i took with the fuji.

regards and hope to post some pentax K10 shots real soon

Goth

Attached Images

gothiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:35 PM   #2

Before you take any pictures, read the instruction book, so you know what is normal and what is not. Then I suggest you look up Steve's review of the camera on this web site, and using it as a tutorial, go through it step by step with your camera doing what he describes and illustrates, so you will have gone through the basic functions/ Presumably everything will be as it should be, and you can then go ahead and take the type ofsubjects you will normally be photographing - presumably these are the kinds of activities you are used to and most familiar with so you are less likely to make mistakes. After that you can experimentwiththings you are less familiar with, referring to the manual as you do. Make sure the automatic features are working correctly first at default settings, then move on to manual adjustments.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3

Only thing I might add is to read through the manual (not that deeply) while your battery is charging, without the camera. It won't make all that much sense (at least it didn't to me) but got me familiar with things. Then I sat down with the camera and the owners manual to try to figure out the very basics - get an idea what all those dials and levers do. If you get impatient, put the camera either on the green (auto) or P (hyperprogram) modes (after you mount a lens), point it at your coffee cup, pen holderor soda can and take a picture. Put up the flash, don't get too close to your subject and make sure the flash works. If you don't like the white balance, look in the manual how to change it and go from there. Just have fun with it for a while, experiment with anything that catches your eye (I'm still at that stage). What lens (or lenses) are you getting with it? If you are starting out with just the kit lens, learn what it does well, and where it's weaknesses are by just taking subjects you want to.

Judging from your lovely sample picture, you'll probably be buying a long telephoto sooner, rather than later - the kit lens will be too short for shots like that one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:18 AM   #4

And don't be dissappointed by "low pic quality and not sharp pictures". What the Fujii does in camera you are supposed to do yourselfwhen post processing in the computer. That gives you more control over the result, but some new DSLR owners are dissappointed in the beginning.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:36 AM   #5

I agree with all the posts. The kit lens will dissappoint for getting some long shots, and the in-camera sharpness and color will take some adjustment to get it where you want it. Once you get all that down you will be getting shots you could never get with your P&S, especially in low light situations. Plus you get the extra added benefit of LBA which will keep you up all night on ebay looking for that lens to end all lenses at an offer you can't refuse! Have a great time and we all look forward to seeing the fruits of your labors.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:24 AM   #6

Thank you for all your help and advice, i suppose it makes sense to go carefully through the ,manual and try the more basic settings on the camera before plunging into the more technical aspects of it. I havbe reda every review of the camera available and handled it several times in stores etc. Was aware of the lack of punch to the straight out of camera JPEGs, but Im used to photoshop and dont object to post shutter corrections.

I have also got a sigma 70-300 apo on its way as i prefer taking photos of less than obliging wildlife. (though the swan in thesample was trying to attack me at the time.)

Will drop some posts in once i have camera charged and I know what im doing with it.

Thank you all once again

Regards

Goth
gothiquity is offline   Reply With Quote