Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:11 PM   #1

Quick question, I have just been looking at these cams, and noticed they always say the anti shake works with any pentax lens. What about with Tamron or Sigma? Are they meaning any 'pentax compatible lens' or do they really mean it HAS to be a pentax brand lens for it to work?

Thanks folks!
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:23 PM   #2

Any K mount lens will benefit from the anti-shake. I imagine the screwmount lenses would as well, but I don't actually have any of those (I can't think of any reason they would not). In short, the brand of the lens does not matter.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:28 PM   #3

Thanks Tim, much appreciated. I was just thinking, for a low cost do it all convenient setup, a Pentax K100d with a Tamron 18-250 lens would be unbeatable for the cost. (I know one could get a lot better lenses, but man, that would be a great easy setup, and for under 900 bucks!)
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:57 PM   #4

The Pentax anti-shake system works by moving the sensor in the camera body to compensate for any camrea shake.

So the lens is not involved in this system so any lens that you can use on the camera will benefit from the extra stability.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:23 PM   #5

Highway wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Tim, much appreciated. I was just thinking, for a low cost do it all convenient setup, a Pentax K100d with a Tamron 18-250 lens would be unbeatable for the cost. (I know one could get a lot better lenses, but man, that would be a great easy setup, and for under 900 bucks!)
I would recommend the K100d without reservation. I have not used any of the super zooms, but you can cover that same range pretty well and get some nice shots using the 18-55 kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens, and stay well under your $900 price limit.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:41 PM   #6

philneast wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax anti-shake system works by moving the sensor in the camera body to compensate for any camrea shake.

So the lens is not involved in this system so any lens that you can use on the camera will benefit from the extra stability.

Phil
yep,,, all 25,000,000 of them.. if you can get the lens on the pentax it'll have SR, IS, whatever.
with N*/C* you pay extra for this because it's in the lens and not in the camera..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:35 PM   #7

I used to always point out that the in-camera Shake Reduction (SR) means that not only all modern lenses, but old lenses are stabilized too and will work on either the K100 or K10.

It used to mean that you could pick up some really good glass for not much money, certainly cheaper than new lenses. Unfortunately, that's no longer a secret and the older good lenses have gotten expensive (sigh!). Just remember that a lens will retain whatever capability it had when it was made - if it was a manual lens in 1980, it will still be a manual lens. The neat thing is that it will take just as outstanding a picture today as it did back in 1980, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:04 AM   #8

Cool thanks for the info. For now, I was just speculating and kicking myself a bit. I just got a Nikon D40 a couple months ago. I absolutely love the camera but am not thrilled with the lens availability and pricing. I've had a couple superzooms, my wife inherited one of them so really love the idea of not changing lenses. For me, the ultimate setup would be a 'do it all lens' for 99% of my pics and then maybe one nice super sharp fixed lens for special shots that must be perfect. I picked the Nikon for it's great quality at higher iso's but unfortunately never even gave a thought to Pentax. When I read the reviews I saw it has just as good an IQ at higher isos, plus built in stabilization and can use a kabillion lenses. Oops, I should have researched more! I hope to get the 18-200 Nikon lens one day but man, $750.00 is so expensive!!! I"ve even pondered selling my D40 w/kit lens, and my 70-300VR and using the money to get a K100d and a Tamron 18-250 lens....
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:20 AM   #9

Highway wrote:
Quote:
Cool thanks for the info. I hope to get the 18-200 Nikon lens one day but man, $750.00 is so expensive!!! I"ve even pondered selling my D40 w/kit lens, and my 70-300VR and using the money to get a K100d and a Tamron 18-250 lens....
sounds like a plan to me.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:50 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
Highway wrote:
Quote:
Cool thanks for the info. I hope to get the 18-200 Nikon lens one day but man, $750.00 is so expensive!!! I"ve even pondered selling my D40 w/kit lens, and my 70-300VR and using the money to get a K100d and a Tamron 18-250 lens....
sounds like a plan to me.

roy
I concur. I bought mine (K100D + kit lens) this past weekend and I am happy so far. I started out looking only at the Canon XTi and Nikon D40, but decided on the K110D after reading through the comments posted here and based on the excellent answers to all of my questions. You won't be disappointed.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote