Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:39 AM   #1

Hello,

Well the header says it all I guess. Is there something like a split focus for the K100D, and if so wich one?Is there something else that could help with the manual focussing?

I hope ther is, and that someone can help!

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:17 AM   #2

Rudo wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Well the header says it all I guess. Is there something like a split focus for the K100D, and if so wich one?Is there something else that could help with the manual focussing?

I hope ther is, and that someone can help!

Rudo

Hi Rudo,

I tried this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320141704076 but didn't like it because of the segments blacking out, so I've gone back to the old one. Seller gave me explicit instructions ... pics below, and I found it relatively easy to do if you have a steady hand. Please note pics should be read from the bottom upwards, I included a shot of the K100D as I found it slightly different to the K10D examples ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:50 AM   #3

Hello Jack,

Thanks for your answer. But on your pictures I see that you are using an K10D and not a K100D. Does this make a difference? Because a shop nearby told me that it couldn't be changed in the K100D and I´d like to have a split screenfocus or something that helps meto fucusmanualy.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:03 AM   #4

I own a DS and aa DL, the situation is similar. The DS has user interchangeable screens that work exactly like the K10D, because, like the K10D it has a penta-prism. The DL has a penta-mirror, so it is hollow, as a result Pentax does not allow for users changing screens, BUT the screens mount in thee same way. The problem with the DL (and you might want to check this with the K100D, which also has a penta-mirror,as well) is that a little three sided brass "shim" mounts above the screen to give it correct spacing. This shim can be very difficult to get back into place, which is again the probable reason why Pentax did not specify it as a user servicable item.

Just a thought

Ira

BTW my experience with the split screen finder (mine was from China, cut down from a Minolta X700 piece) was very similar to jachol, I removed it after a few months.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:38 AM   #5

Rudo wrote:
Quote:
Hello Jack,

Thanks for your answer. But on your pictures I see that you are using an K10D and not a K100D. Does this make a difference? Because a shop nearby told me that it couldn't be changed in the K100D and I´d like to have a split screenfocus or something that helps meto fucusmanualy.

Rudo
No Rudo,

I have the K100D, the illustrations from the seller were for the K10D which is very similar, if you follow the picture from bottom to top, the proceedure is the same for either camera, I did find a slight difference...the release catch is hidden more on my K100D, the first pic in my other post is of the K100D and indicates that the catch is behind the seal at the top. ... Jack
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:48 AM   #6

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I own a DS and aa DL, the situation is similar. The DS has user interchangeable screens that work exactly like the K10D, because, like the K10D it has a penta-prism. The DL has a penta-mirror, so it is hollow, as a result Pentax does not allow for users changing screens, BUT the screens mount in thee same way. The problem with the DL (and you might want to check this with the K100D, which also has a penta-mirror,as well) is that a little three sided brass "shim" mounts above the screen to give it correct spacing. This shim can be very difficult to get back into place, which is again the probable reason why Pentax did not specify it as a user servicable item.

Just a thought

Ira

BTW my experience with the split screen finder (mine was from China, cut down from a Minolta X700 piece) was very similar to jachol, I removed it after a few months.
Quote:
Ira,
Quote:
Are you saying that the shim should be mounted over the focus screen, I had it underneath, and still do with the original screen refitted, seems to work OK. I do agree that the shim is very fiddly to position, if it gets disturbed. As I said earlier steady hands are needed. I just wasn't happy at all with the split screen I tried, and had it in there no more than a few days. I suppose it could be down to the actual screens properties. Others may perform better. ... Jack.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:30 AM   #7

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ira,
Quote:
Are you saying that the shim should be mounted over the focus screen, I had it underneath, and still do with the original screen refitted, seems to work OK. I do agree that the shim is very fiddly to position, if it gets disturbed. As I said earlier steady hands are needed. I just wasn't happy at all with the split screen I tried, and had it in there no more than a few days. I suppose it could be down to the actual screens properties. Others may perform better. ... Jack.
Jack

I cannot swear how the shim was originally mounted but it seems to have fallen out of the camera after the screen was removed so I assumed it was above. Scared the heck out of me, I thought I had broken the new camera my wife had given me and she would therefore kill me (since it was such an expensive gift)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:45 AM   #8

OK Ira, thanks for the reply,

I'm just thinking maybe I had it wrong and that this had some adverse effect on the operation of the split screen. Myself I was convinced it was underneath, but then again it's possible it could drop down when you withdraw the screen. Hm...mmm should I try it again, or leave well alone ???. My decision obviously. ... Jack
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:54 AM   #9

Ira,

I think I'll leave well alone, I've just had another look at the pics I posted above, and the shim appears to be underneath, the guy doesn't show any replacement of the shim, which you would have to do if it was on top. Unless anyone knows different ???, comments please. ... Jack
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:52 AM   #10

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Ira,

I think I'll leave well alone, I've just had another look at the pics I posted above, and the shim appears to be underneath, the guy doesn't show any replacement of the shim, which you would have to do if it was on top. Unless anyone knows different ???, comments please. ... Jack
I've not tried it nor would I want to as the split screen doesn't work that well past f/8 or so as some have posted...Did you find this the case or was it something else that turned you off of it?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote