Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:54 AM   #11

nice shot of the kingfisher. consider yourself lucky.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:55 PM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The bird taking off (and the big one in focus in the first egret picture) looks like a Great Egret to me. The smaller one I would have guessed was a Snowy Egret, but when I looked into my field guide, there's a Little Blue Heron that can be confused with an immature Snowy Egret. Never noticed that one before - so thanks for introducing me to a new bird.

Love all of these, the second one is my favorite.
Right the first time, Harriet. The smaller egret is a Snowy - the yellow lores (between the bill and the eyes) and the yellow feet with black legs are diagnostic (juveniles have light colored legs).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:34 PM   #13

Hi jthacker,

Looks like you had a lot of great opportunities that I wouldn't have thought possible in Kansas, but then again, I never thought I'd be able to shoot as many herons and egrets as I have in the Chicago suburbs, so what do I know. . .:-)

The Belted Kingfisher is my favorite of these shots -- many people don't know how hard they are to get close to, so any good shot is a great one, and appreciated by me, at least.

One tip tho -- for the GBH and Egrets, in full daylight, I usually take a test shot, preview it with the highlight indicator on, then dial in some negative Ev compensation (up to -2 Ev in some bright direct sunlit situations for the egrets) to prevent blown highlights which happen all the time with these birds because most shots that you get are against either water or foliage at the water's edge as a background, and both are relatively dark.

Are you planning on going back for the Sandhill and Whooping Cranes? Sounds like a good time!

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:15 PM   #14

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi jthacker,

One tip tho -- for the GBH and Egrets, in full daylight, I usually take a test shot, preview it with the highlight indicator on, then dial in some negative Ev compensation (up to -2 Ev in some bright direct sunlit situations for the egrets) to prevent blown highlights which happen all the time with these birds because most shots that you get are against either water or foliage at the water's edge as a background, and both are relatively dark.

Scott

so true!
i've had to go manual sometimes to eliminate the blown high lights. Av is great but sometimes just isn't enough for the DR you are shooting..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:20 PM   #15

Yeah, I'm planning on going back to the area in a few weeks. I've always known this area was there, but it's only with the recent completion of U.S. Highway 400 from southwest Missouri to the Wichita area that it became a weekend trip. Before they finished that highway, the trip from my home to the Wichita area was 4 and a half hours, and Great Bend is two hours beyond that. This highway shaved a full two hours off the trip.

I actually did under expose most of these shots by -1 stop to -1.5 stops, that seems to work best with my DL.

The kingfisher is an interesting shot too. I went out to this flooded road at Cheyenne Bottoms at 6 a.m. just as the sun was coming up and this guy was sitting on the wires then. I shot a few pictures of him, but they were just sillouhetts. Now I can't say absolutely for sure that it was the same bird, but I came back about 1:30 p.m. on the same road, after circling the Cheyenne Bottoms area, and there he is, in almost the same spot. It must be a good feeding spot for him.

This is the morning shot I took of him.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote