Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:38 AM   #121

Vaguely on topic, I have already posted my entry and my vote so this is just an effort at shameless self promotion. I did these images thisJuly and they do fit with the theme (at least the first two) http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80 seriously, I just wanted some opinions on them from you guys.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:57 AM   #122

they're all still very good.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:57 PM   #123

robar wrote:
Quote:
they're all still very good.

roy
:lol: I guess I have been told!!:lol:
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:49 PM   #124

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Vaguely on topic,¬* I have already posted my entry and my vote so this is just an effort at shameless self promotion.¬* I did these images this¬*July and they do fit with the theme (at least the first two) http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...10&forum_id=80¬*¬* seriously, I just wanted some opinions on them from you guys.

Ira
Ira

You are right. Roger's Cowboy Tools / Stirrup has the same theme of course with considerable southern and rough accent whereas yours are more subtle and gentlemanly. Both are beautifully done. But being Canadian, you know where I stand

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:25 AM   #125
PDL

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
PDL - as a minor clarification (and certainly not to change your vote), I wanted to be inclusive with this topic, rather than exclusive, so either macros or larger would fit into the topic. I wasn't thinking so much about challenging people to look at details in largersizes (though that's certainly a good subject in itself, come to think of it), I was trying to make sure that those out there without macro lenses would be able to find something to submit (thinking inclusive, rather than exclusive).
No need for clarification - I just thought I owed the reader a bit of verbage about why I chose Roger's image over the rest. There is a black art to providing critiques and I am trying to improve my skill.

As a practitioner, any feedback is welcome, but an explanation and description of the characteristics that lead to that choice is far better than "I choose xxxxxx - it's xxxxxx". For heavens sake - tell them why, how the "rules" were interpreted, what parts did you like and what parts did you not like.

Try the following site as a guide to better judging, it also works on your own images if you work at it hard enough.

http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=559

Just try to remember the thoughts of the late curator of photography at MOMA, think about the third line - to master the third line is the goal for each shot.

"The truth is that anybody can make a photograph.
The trouble is not that photographs are hard to make.
The trouble is that they are hard to make intelligent and interesting"
John Szarkowski 2000 1925-2007

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:11 AM   #126

My vote goes to mark's "rust", I like the composision and especially the colors very much!

Richard.

Ritro again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:38 PM   #127

Thanks for the link, PDL - a thought-provoking article.And for where you were coming from. Now I understand what you meant(I can be a bit slow about such things)and, of course, you are right.

Everyone can vote, even if you didn't submit a photo. Tomorrow (Friday) midnight is the cut-off for voting, the winner will be announced on Saturday afternoon or evening.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:45 PM   #128

Although I havebeen humble and already cast my vote for someone else, I have 10 family members and friends that would like to cast thier vote for me. Do they have to register to vote or can you just credit a200user with 10 votes? This used to work in theRepublic of the Philippines.

:blah:
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:24 AM   #129

Roger's stirrup...then Corpsy's frog...then Harriet's fence. What an interesting month...everyone just keeps pushing the bar up!

Ira, thanks for posting the link to your post from July. I must have missed it. Very nice detail shots!!!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 4:37 PM   #130

The voting is all done, though it was REALLY close. I hope Roger isn't too busy out hunting to choose a topic for October, because he got one more vote than Ira.

Well done, Roger! Now it's your turn to choose a topic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote