Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:41 PM   #1

This month's challenge is to post a picture of a detail. I define this as a picture of something that is a part of something else - not the whole thing. The detail can be any size - some examples that have been posted here in the past include the hood ornament of an antique car, and a section of hand-painted ceiling, along with a number of the pictures in the "boring picture" thread. Macros are acceptable, but it must be a detail - i.e., a dragonfly is not a detail (macro yes, detail no), but a dragonfly's eye is (both macro and detail). Let your imagination fly away, ornotice the little things around you - however you "see" things.

Other rules - pictures are to be taken this month, the longest dimension is to be resized to 720 pixels to keep things equal and there's only one entry per person. If you post a picture early in the month, then take a better one later on, you can delete the first one (just edit your post and delete the attachment) and post the new one. As usual, the pictures are to be taken with a Pentax/Samsung dSLRcamera (any model).

To start off the topic - here's one I took Friday (it actually won't qualify, but thought I'd post it as an example of one possible subject).The gym didn't open on-time Fridayso I took a walk, playing with the new Vivitar 105 macro lens in the wonderful early morning light.This is actuallya cap on one of 3 fire hose connectionson the standpipe located on the roof of a parking structure - not exactlysomething that onenormally notices or would consider worthy of a photograph. However, I was really happy with this one, in spite of the too small DOF.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2

Harriet, you won again! Congrats and thanks for the good subject idea! Now I have to get out there and start shooting.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:10 PM   #3

yeah, twice and now she's turned into a dictator. look at all those rules!!!!! sheesh:blah:

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4

Allow me to introduce you to SUPERFLOWER. I think this fits in the rules. The interesting thing is you only see that "S" in the middle from a certain angle. I shot it again from a slightly different angle and the S disappeared. This flower was shot on Sept. 4 outside the Quivera National Wildlife Refuge visitors center south of Great Bend, Kansas, with the istDL and promaster 70-300 macro zoom out to about 250 mm.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:40 PM   #5

That meets the criteria - it's a part of a flower. This type of picture is so hard to get right - when you go for a dark center you end up blowing out the white petals. I've more or less given up trying to photograph white flowers.

Roy - What can I say - you guys are just gluttons for punishment, I guess. The only really new rule is the size one. We've occasionally "bent" the time frame rule, but this is such a fun, easy topic that it shouldn't be a handicap. Even though I'm feeling a bit under the weather today and staying home, I still took a picture out my upstairs window of a tree limb and how it was half-lit - I'm always seeing something that might (or might not) make a good picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6

REBOOT

i worked on this a little more
it's a shame to resize it.

roy
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:00 PM   #7

not something i usually do but it was fun.

roy
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:45 PM   #8

I really like that Roy... very cool!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:46 PM   #9

Stapler

SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:58 PM   #10

steve,
i thought it was a PC socket for external flash.

nick,
available LED lights with red filter and some custom WB.

roy