Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:58 PM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
. you don't happen to have any of tamron's rear lens caps do you or know where they can be had??
Hi Roy,

I don't know if you've ever seen one. . . they are clear plastic, seem pretty brittle, and are a lot deeper than they have to be. I've got one for my 1.4x, but nver use it. I'd look around in the used drawer at an established camera store for some slip on lens caps that fit on the barrel of the TC.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:05 PM   #12

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
. you don't happen to have any of tamron's rear lens caps do you or know where they can be had??
Hi Roy,

I've got one for my 1.4x, but nver use it.
Scott
how do you store the lens when not in use?

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:08 PM   #13

robar wrote:
Quote:
jack, for 90 bucks i'll find some. i just wonder what the 200F 2xwould sell for. not that i'll ever find out.
Hi Roy,

A couple have been auctioned in the past few months. I was watching them, but stopped when the bids went over $100 well before the end time. One that was listed for BIN$130 went unsold tho . . .

Scott
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:14 PM   #14

i've never seen one FS. i'll get some tests tomorrow and see if there's any diff...
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:38 PM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
how do you store the lens when not in use?
I have two relatively local camera shops that both have drawers full of used lens caps. I just took the TC and found some slip on caps that fit both sides.

The fact is that I rarely store it, and have it mounted on either the SP 300 (most of the time) or on the SP 80-200/2.8, so the caps have been in the bag since I got them.

Scott
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:32 PM   #16

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy,

I don't know if you've ever seen one. . . they are clear plastic, seem pretty brittle, and are a lot deeper than they have to be. I've got one for my 1.4x, but nver use it. I'd look around in the used drawer at an established camera store for some slip on lens caps that fit on the barrel of the TC.

Scott
Scott is correct - they are not very practical - they are high (although you could trim off the rather tall collar that serves no fucntion that I can see), and in my experience, they dislodge easily. They are held in place by small tabs that bayonet in, and the tall caps provide enough leverage that the tabs can snap off easily. I keep an adapter mounted with its rear cap in place.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:41 PM   #17

P,
i only have one adapter and with the going cost of the PKA adapter being in the $100 range it's likely to stay that way.
one thing i'd really like to have is an adaptal-2 owners manual. i eventually get it all together but it's a hit and miss operation. i've been googling(who ever thought there'd be such a word?) but have not found much.

roy
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:44 PM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
one thing i'd really like to have is an adaptal-2 owners manual. i eventually get it all together but it's a hit and miss operation. i've been googling(who ever thought there'd be such a word?) but have not found much.

roy

There was only a single folded sheet with only a few lines for the Pentax mount:

"A) Aligh green dot on lens with matching green dot on mount.

"B) Press mount downwards into lens, and turn mount clockwise until locked in place.

"To remove mount, simply hold down rlease button on lens, and turn mount counterclockwise until it maay be lifted out."

That's all there is.

Edit: The above was the Adaptall manual; the adaptall 2 manual is similar except it says the lens should be set to the maximim aperture before mouting or dismounting the adapter. If there are mounting keys (=tabs) they chould be lined up with the matching slots on the lens (or converter). There is a small format manual for the converters with specifications and illustrations, but the mounting instructions are essentially the same.

Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:11 PM   #19

my problem is with when using the TCs and getting the exterior linkages all lined up. i've also had problems with unattaching the different pieces. i guess it'll get easier with use.

roy
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:21 PM   #20

robar wrote:
Quote:
my problem is with when using the TCs and getting the exterior linkages all lined up. i've also had problems with unattaching the different pieces. i guess it'll get easier with use.

roy
I think the key to it is setting them to the maximum aperture (see edit tomy last post) and holding the release tab down during the operation. There are two tabs which mate with slots that are not linked to each other, so one has to be moved manually if it is misaligned. Not a speedy operation, so it helps to have more than one mount if you have more than one lens, but if you add or changeconverters, it won't be speedy unless you get really adeptat it (with only occasional use, there is a lot of fumbling).