Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:05 PM   #1

got the converters for the 300mm today. all i can say is
WOW!!!
these are like new.. i can't tell if they have ever been used. there is not a scratch, blemish, brassing on them. get this. there's not a speck of dust in them. not one speck. i almost feel that using them would be a sacrilege .. they came with front caps but no rear caps. anyone have extra adaptall2 rear caps??

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:06 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:06 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:53 PM   #4

Hi Roy,
That lot looks a nice haul. ... Can't help with the caps I've never had any adaptall 2 kit. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:26 PM   #5

jack, for 90 bucks i'll find some. i just wonder what the 200F 2xwould sell for. not that i'll ever find out.

roy
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:36 PM   #6

You'll just have to explain some bits here, Roy. Why do these converters have an aperture setting ring on them?? (He said, thus revealing his ignorance.)

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:47 PM   #7

it's so they can transfer the ap setting from the adaptall mount from the camera to the lens. i'm not real sure as i'm new here also. there's 4 pieces in the setup
the lens
the TC
the adaptall PKA mount
and the camera
from what i see it's there to help you get everything lined up right. tim and scott have more experience with this than i. maybe they'll chime in. from what i know these TCs can only be used on a tamron adaptall lens.

roy
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:06 PM   #8

I soldmy adaptall lenses when I went to autofocus. The only one I retained was the 90mm 2.5 macro, the 01F 2X and the SP-140 1.4X converters, and one mount each for Pentax A, Ricoh, and Minolta AF (manual only).

The aperture scale on the converter gives you the corrected aperture, while the scale on the prime lens gives the nominal setting. No mental conversions necessary. The two units are linked by tabs, so the two scales move together.

The converters mate with the adapter ring in the same way as the lens does, so they will work with nothing else - only the adaptall mount.

Roy - what is the difference between the 200F and (the older?) 01F - they are both 2X, are they not?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:50 PM   #9

thanx Prof,
mine is setup correctly now. you don't happen to have any of tamron's rear lens caps do you or know where they can be had??

yes , they are both 2x. the 01F is fairly common and will work with all the adaptall lenses. it's a 5/6 configuration. you see them on ebay.

the SP 200F was specifically designed for use on 7 of the adapall SP lenses. it's a 6/5 config. it was designed to be it's best when used with the lenses when they are at their widest aperture. i have no idea about what this is worth because you never see one available. never. like finding a small van gogh in the attic..if i ever put it on ebay it would definately be a 30 daylisting.. george was a great fellow for selling this to me for a pittance as he knows it's worth. i need to do something good for someone now.

roy
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:52 PM   #10

penolta wrote:
Quote:
The aperture scale on the converter gives you the corrected aperture, while the scale on the prime lens gives the nominal setting. No mental conversions necessary. The two units are linked by tabs, so the two scales move together.

The converters mate with the adapter ring in the same way as the lens does, so they will work with nothing else - only the adaptall mount.

Roy - what is the difference between the 200F and (the older?) 01F - they are both 2X, are they not?
Pentolta is correct about the aperture scale on the TC. It's offset to show the corrected effective aperture value.

The difference between the 200F and the 01F is supposed to be that the 200F has additional correction for better edge and corner sharpness (a flatter field), and is supposed to be a surprising 35-50% better in this regard. I have heard that using them on APS-C sized sensors negates the difference, but I'm curious if that's just theoretical. . .

They made far fewer of these, and they usually demand a considerably higher price -- most times the cost of the 200F nowadays is considerably higher than Roy paid for all three of these!

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote