Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:35 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Anyone have any experience in transferring slides to digital format using a slide duplicator attached to a SLR lens? I would like to use my trusty DL to convert a batch of slides and came across the following:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uplicator.html

My other option is to purchase a 50 mm macro lens for about $225. Any feedback from fello Pentaxians would be appreciated.

Thanks...Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:50 PM   #2
TC3

I do not know much about them but there are scanners that can be bought for this purpose and they vary in price quite a bit
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:40 PM   #3

you see copiers on ebay all the time. as far as scanning goes my canon is set up to do 2 negs or slides. i scan them at 1200dpi. in the time it takes to set it up and the time it takes to get it in a file you could probably do 25-40 with a copier on your camera. i've done a few but to scan them is a PITA. you might ck out some of the labs in your area because i know that this is a service offered..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:35 PM   #4

I also wouldrecommend a slide duplicator on the camera if possible, for speed. Messing around to get the result right wastes lots of time with a scanner. I've done a lot of filmscanning, and it's slow, if you want good results. I'd like an optical device, but can't find one to fit my digicams at a price I'm willing to pay, so far.

With a good optical system fitting on to a digicam it'll be much quicker, and the results can be inspected quickly & immediately. I'd recomend bracketing exposure routinely, and keeping the best. Because of dynamic range, it'll often be necessary to keep more than one of the shots to show both highlights and shadows of the original.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:35 PM   #5

Thanks all for your opinions and advice. I think I will try the slide duplicating adaptor. It sounds like the item I referenced in my initial post will fit a 52 mm thread which makes a good fit for the kit lens.

Jay
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:35 AM   #6

I converted several thousand slides to digtal a couple of years ago. I used a light box, 2 straight edge rulers, and my old Fuji s7000 in Macro mode with a remote shutter release. The two rulers are used to create a track to run the slides down, with the camera mounted an inch or so off the top of the light box.

It worked great, because it was super fast. I looked into both a slide duplicator for the front of the camera, and neg scanner. In the end, this was so much quicker than a scanner, more consistent than the slide duplicator because it had a consistent source of light. In the end, it took me about 2 weeks to do about 20 years worth of family slides.

Quality depends on the condition of the slide you start with, and you're going to want to make sure that you take your camera out of any auto modes. Where my method worked best is that I quickly found out that there is no such thing as a standard size for slides. Some are square, some are closer to 4:3, some are closer to 2:3 and some souvenir slides I had were just ridiculously huge. Don't forget that once you've got them shot, you'll probably need to post process them.

I had a trial version of one of those Kodak processors (Digital Roc??) and about 50% of the time it was able to bring back slides that were really, really faded to something that was acceptable. It did a better job than PSP did too (I'm not a photoshop guy). Luckily for me, most of those slides weren't important anyway, so I didn't have to shell out the cash for the plug in. Nice to know it's available and that it worked if you needed it though.

Finally, my biggest piece of advice is organize your slides before you start snapping! I had 3 false starts, one while I well over half way done. Put them in order the way you intend to view them (for me that was by date) because then the sequential file names will make it easier to organize them when you are done. Remember how I mentioned that the slide's size can change? Make sure that you try to get all your like sized slides together so you're not constantly adjusting the camera.

If you search the message boards here you'll find more posts about the process and what I learned doing it, along with some sample shots. If I remember correctly I got some great advice from others in the message base too. It was a couple of years ago, but if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:58 AM   #7

I have scanned a number of negatives, and agree that it is a slow process. It is also very accurate. I have hesitated to try the camera duplicators because of the addition of lens distortion. Anyone found this to be the case, or is the convenience worth it?

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:30 AM   #8

Hi Jay,
I've copied several hundred slides with a homebrew copier attached to the camera. Mine consists of a length of tube and a +10 2 element dioptre, and a Canon Powershot A95 (5MP), at full optical zoom this gave a full frame shot of the slide. I doubt you'd want to make one as I did, but I can assure you results are far better quality than using a scanner. My scanner has a slide copy facility, but it was very time consuming approx 2 minutes/slide, whereas with the homebrew copier I could do 36 slides in about 15 minutes easily. Go figure which is best. Hope this helps. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:40 AM   #9

Thanks Jachol and Basement Shows for your feedback! After reading Basement Shows' contribution, it occurred to me that I have a light box and also that my Pentax Optio has a super macro mode. I set up a trial slide and it seems to work. Let me try this since I already have the gear in hand. If the results are not up to par, I may follow Jachol's direction and go for the slide duplicator to use with my DL.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Fortunately, my wife has gone through the trouble to sort through the vast collection andeliminate duplicates and those with thefinger in front of the lens. Most of these were shotduring the pre-SLR days. The time ranges from the mid 1950's throughthe mid 1980's. I have a Ektagraphic Slide Projector, but it is burdensome to load the slides into carousels in order to view them.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again for your collective advice...this has really been very helpful.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jay
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:17 AM   #10

More ways than one of skinning a cat jelpee. ... Good luck. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote