Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:38 PM   #11

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:40 PM   #12

#4BW. Pretty sure this one should be in BW

Grateful for any comments or critique. How do I get the BWs as "punchy" as yours, Tom?
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:34 PM   #13
TDN

Thanks for all the compliments my ego thanks you too:lol:

Kjell, let me first say that first shot is awesome. Definitely go for B&w, maybe a little more shadow contrast, but it's definitely good!

The way I process them is: always shoot in RAW, put the saturation to zero, and pull up the blacks in Lightroom or Camera Raw, until the shadows are nice and deep, right on the verge of losing detail.

You can either add contrast/brightness here, or afterwards in PS.

Sometimes I clear up the foreground with fill light, but compensate with the recovery slider and blacks.

Then I save it to a JPEG and open that one in photoshop.

There I crop away any unwanted details, dodge/burn if necessary or clone away unwanted imperfections. Note: unwanted
Then resize to web format, for example 700 pixels on the long side.

Then I add 40% to 75% unsharp mask, depending on what looks good. Simply because most of the unsharpened RAWs out of my DL aren't sharp enough for web use.

Sometimes the vignetting tool in Lightroom can be fun to experiment with too.

For street shots it's important that they're not "too grey". I once got a comment "The blacks are too black, the whites too white and the greys too grey"...didn't know what to reply...guess I just got the exposure wrong

The only true "rule" is too experiment and practice...when I look at shots I took 1 year ago, I regret I didn't take them differently...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:15 PM   #14

Tom - your shots are truly awesome - I love the little boy!

Kjell - Just my opinion - I think all of yourstranslate well into b&w. That first shot is really incredible in either color or b&w - it's definitely my favorite. I've only played a bit with b&w, but I've found that you do need extra contrast as Tom indicated. One of the nice things about Lightroom (think you can do the same thing in CS3) is that you can convert to grey scale, and then change the light/dark values of the colors in the original picture, if two colors are too close for contrast differences. I know I've done something similar, but it's more primitive in CS2 by using the channel mixer adjustment - not sure you can do that in PSE. I've also used desat and then added a levels adjustment layer to change the contrast - again more primitive than Tom's method but it's simple and sometimes works well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:38 PM   #15

Wow Tom, thanks for the HowTo on B&W street photography, I guess that would work with all B&W photography, I will definately try your method on my next black and whites.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote