Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1

Six years ago tomorrow 9/11/01, I was married for 10 days. My head was still filled with all of the excitement from the wedding. It was a Tuesday morning & I had to make an early delivery to a job outside Scott Air Force Base, just up the road from my shop. I had just turned on the Howard Stern show & they were reporting that a commercial airliner had crashed into the World Trade Center. By the time I reached the jobsite, a second plane had done the same. Jim Laughlin (a local electrician...I'll never forget him) asked me what was going on on the radio. All I could tell him was what I had heard. I then called my boss to tell him that I was stopping by my house to get my stepson's TV that I had gotten him for his 11th birthday so that we could watch the news.

Later that afternoon, I finally got home to find my wife of 10 days....crying. All we could do was hug each other & watch the skies around our home. Those skies that normally had a plane preparing to land or another taking off...were eerily empty & would be for the next 3 days.

I remember & I hope that you will as well!
Attached Images

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:29 AM   #2

Great post. I could never forget that day. We worked through the night preparing equipment and ammunition and I was deployed within a week.
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:12 AM   #3

Eddie OM35 wrote:
Quote:
Great post. I could never forget that day. We worked through the night preparing equipment and ammunition and I was deployed within a week.
Some in the US not only have forgotten but some say it was planned by the US gov. How sad to say such things and not know how some people in this world are out to destroy all civilization and bring the world back to the 12th century. I will never forget and my forgivness doesn't extend to the terrorist of the world.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:53 AM   #4

yeah,
i remember getting up and doing the morning thing and then sitting down and the sbc home page comes up and the first news line that came up was ''Second air plane strikes WTC'' .. i said to myself, second plane ????
i had my wife switch on the TV and the first words out of my mouth was ''we're at war''.....
i've got the next twelve hours of the news on tape. i've also got a tribute in flash that i'll upload and provide a link to in awhile..

PTBAA,
roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:00 AM   #5

this is the best tribute i've seen of that day..
the swf flash file is about 6.5megs and does take awhile to load.
get out your kleenex. this is a brutal clip. you may not want to view it.

http://www.texasbostons.com/attack.swf

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the reminders. There are so many emotions involved its hard to know what to say. My wife had just flown back here to Germany and had had a layover at Logan on the 10th. It was eerie to think shewas that close to the whole thing. I also had some wonderful memories of the towers, havinggrown up in and around the NYC.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:16 PM   #7

I was sitting on a runway in Northern KY (CVG) when they grounded everything. The chaos at the airport was unreal. I was lucky I could just get my wife to come and pick me up since it was only 80 miles to my house.

I am in the Civil Air Patrol here in KY. We launched the first nonmilitary plane in the country after the attack. It flew from Louisville to Owensboro to pick-up all the blood platelets we could fit in it and then it flew to New Jersey. At that time everyone thought there would be massive numbers of wounded. A friend of mine was the pilot of that flight and he described the erie and abnormal feeling he had for the whole flight not hearing any chatter on the radios. The only time he had any radio traffic was when one controller would hand him off to the next.

I pray we never experience anything like that again.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:04 PM   #8

Roy, thank you for that video. That was one of the best that I've seen of the coverage.

We should not...can not...will not forget! May God bless this country & all of those who serve our country!!!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:51 PM   #9

Indeed. I retired from 20 years of Active Duty Air Force last month and it's definitely a strange feeling looking at it from the other side.
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:00 AM   #10

Hi folks, I downloaded Robs recommended and very moving, superbly made 9/11 video.

I am sure I speak for the people in Great Britain to say how shocked and appalled we were to see that barbarous, unprovoked attack in 2001, we Brits got hit a couple of years ago, in London by the same brand fanatics.

In civilised war ( no, there is no such thing!) the soldiers are supposed to fight each other following rules of engagement, as my farther did in Burma in WW2.

But, what took place on 9/11 was not war, it was sheer mass murder. That cowardly, peacetime attack on civilians (of all faiths) was an unjustifiably obscene act, that shames and disgraces the religion in whose name it was carried out. The puritrators and their trainers have not struck a blow for Islam, they have just made normal life (as we in the civilised world know it) much more difficult for the millions of people who follow that religion's more peaceful aspects.

We had terrorism in Northern Ireland for years, but the cheerleaders seem to have finally seen the light and peace prevails. We can only hope this will eventually filter through to the current terror groups.

Back in 1941 we in Liverpool had the s…t bombed out of us by Nazi fanatics who wished to conquer Europe, but then we were at war with them and expected such attacks. Those poor guys in the twin towers (and the people in the planes) were just trying to earn their corn, they were not a war with anyone.

Terrorists are bad enough, religious terrorists, are fanatics whose religion drives them to murder, to impose their misguided beliefs on others, they are to be despised. OK, 400 years ago we in Europe did our fair share of witch hunting and burning at the stake, but we have grown up and moved on.

A couple of hundred years ago France developed some simple guide lines; Liberty, Equality and Fraternity, that allowed all people (whether they had a religion or not), to co-exist.

Perhaps we should just back off being the worlds policeman (after all, there will always be dictators and we can't remove them all) and let the fanatics spend the next 200 years getting civilised!

Sorry, sorry, I will get off my soap box now; this is after all a photography forum!

But I think you were right to mention it at this time. We should never forget that all those people who died…. so needlessly. SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote