Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:46 PM   #1

Hey there!

I'm going to a concert end of october, my favorite band actually, and since I'm part of the Student Association of my University and am affiliated with the Journal, I managed to scrap a journalist pass... which means I'll be in the pit taking pictures !

I'm looking for a good fast lense for concert shooting...
Is the Pentax - 50-135mm f2.8 smc DA* ED (IF) SDM Lens any good? 135mm isn't a big reach, but since I'll be close to the stage... I also got the 50-200 but it's not the same quality now is it?

Thanks
TigerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:33 PM   #2

If you got the K10D or K100D Super and can afford the DA* lens, I'd say go for it. You (and the musicians, especially) will appreciate the silent zoom that the SDM brings. The 50-135 doesn't reach far, but like you said, you'll be close to the stage. You'll really want that f/2.8.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:40 PM   #3

Will the sound of a lens focusing really bother someone playing music? I would think the music would be way louder than even my loudest focusing lens.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:54 PM   #4

Even if you have a K100, DA*50-135 works with it quite nicely. It'll focus using the in-camera focus motor so will be louder than with the K10 or K100, but it's sharp enough that its easy to manually focus. The other advantage of using the DA lens with a K100 is that the K100 has less noise at 1600 - you might be able to get a little faster shuttter speeds.

K100, DA*50-135, f2.8, 1/20 sec,ISO 1600 - the staircase was in a library that was dimly lit.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:25 PM   #5

It as heavy operatic gothic metal band... so I highly doubt they'll even hear my lense. Flash are probably not allowed, as are tripods... maybe monopods, but that's unlikely...
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:26 AM   #6

What band is it, Nightwish? I saw Therion in Toronto, last summer I think...

That 50-135mm looks like it would be pretty good for concerts, though that depends on the concert. Lighting conditions can vary. If you're getting rather close you'd probably get a higher percentage of sharp, usable photos using something like a 50mm f1.4, but obviously you wouldn't be able to zoom in and get closeups.

I don't know what your level of expertise is, but if you haven't played with shooting RAW I highly recommend you do so. Concerts are where RAW photos really shine. They capture a much broader dynamic range than JPGs allowing you to pull plenty of usable detail out of underexposed areas that would be lost in a JPG. Also, the colored lights can mess up your white balance, but that's easily correctable if you shoot RAW.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:42 AM   #7
TDN

Would be great for concerts, and that's exactly why I'm saving up for one.

I usually use a 105mm f2.8, which gives me decent results, so 50-135mm is definitly enough reach from the frontstage.

Considering a lot of pro's use a full-frame Canon 1D and the 70-200mm 2.8 L, 50-135mm is the same field of view on a APS-C sensor.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:00 AM   #8

The same here (saving for it for concerts)

With it, I am planning to replace FA50/1.4, Tamron 90/2.8 and manual Pentacon135/2.8 lens.

It is too difficult and time consuming to change lenses in the darknes and crowd of concerts.
Fantocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:44 AM   #9

50mm f1.4, and get in close to the stage if possible
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:55 PM   #10

Got that lense too