Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:07 PM   #11

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I' would have shot the ants but I left the 45 in the house.

Dawg
ROTFL! Ant spray would be easier.

It looks like you are going to have a great time with this lens - by the way, I really like your leaf (your ant hill distracted me)
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:01 AM   #12

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
LOL! It does take some getting used to. I'm trying to decide whether to ask hubby for a flash or a lens for Christmas. I've been using the on-board flash and it's OK as long as you take the time to check your results and adjust the flash output accordingly (and don't try to use it at 1:1). I can see where things would be easier with either a hotshoe flash or one off the camera.

Tripod is nice but not absolutely necessary. A monopod also helps to provide extra support with longer shutter speeds. The lens shoots very nicely at f16 by the way.

Antnests/holes are not appropriate places to stand. The least you could have done after standing on their home was to take some 1:1 pictures of them - maybe trying for their good side portrait would have appeased them?
Naw I've tried getting used to a flash but have never liked using one. Tripod will help tremendously as the focus is so micro in nature. Not a sports lens for sure as it takes so long to go from one end of the focus range to the other. I' would have shot the ants but I left the 45 in the house.

Dawg
Hey Dawg,

A Les Baer .45 Long Slide works REAL well for ants..

The extra accuracy of 1.5" groups at 50 yards comes in very handy!!

Althoughordinary handgunning is challenging in & of itself, the challenge in ant hunting seems to be in shootinga single ant per bullet fired..

From what I understand, it is considered quite bad form to kill more than one ant per shot!! (no indescriminate "spray" shooting allowed here)..

Anyone doing so can expect to recieve "quiet censure" from ones fellow hunters while sitting around the fire drinking whiskey after a long, hard days hunt..

More than one bad shot in a hunt may see you being sent to a Remedial Ant Marksmanship Class at your local State Ant Hunting Safety School..

Set up by all 50 states DNR's these schools & their respective classes are to ensure that anyone undertakingthe challenge of Ant Hunting willbe properly versed in marksmanship, ethics, sportsmanship, & ant hunting ettiquitte..

Check out the latest issue of American Ant Handgunner Magazine for a comprehensive review on the "best" pistols for ant hunting..

BTW, the same issue has an article on Alabama Ant Safaris if there are not enough ants around your house to satisfy your desire to pursue ants..

Of course, the well-heeled ant hunter will book a reservation with the famous Ant Hunters Safari International..

Their most popular safaris are in Africa, Indonesia, & South America where one may pursue the extremely dangerous Big Three of the ant world..

Although the American Fire Ant is not considered to beas dangerous as the Big Three, hunting your local fauna will put you in good stead if you decide to hunt overseas..

Adequate pre-hunt shooting is absolutely mandatory, especially if you are going on safari..

A minimum of 500 rounds per week for 3 monthsprior tohunting should bringyour marksmanship skills to theappropiate levels for the One Shot-One Ant Standard..

Proximity counts..Practice..Practice..Practice..

And don't forget the classified ads in American Ant Handgunner Magazine for all of the auxillary gear required for the well equiped "Great White Ant Hunter"..

A full Ant Camoflage Suit from Cabelas is "de rigeur" for any hunter taking up this "sport"..Not to be forgotten is the new Real Wild Ant pattern from RealTree..Gathering quite a reputation, especially east of the Mississippi..

Be sure to choose the proper style of camo depending upon the species of ant that you are hunting, as a poor choice may result in the dreaded No Ants Seen While On Safari Syndrome..

Closely related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, No Ants Seen While On Safari Syndrome has been known to sideline even the most commited of ant hunters with near crippling depression..

A friend of mine gave up ant hunting altogether after suffering NASWOSSdue tobeing skunked on safari in Malaysia last year..Bad advice from a salesman led to improper camo, & no ants..Very, very sad..

Something else to consider are the various scents being marketed..With well over 100 different scents from 36 companies the choices can be mind-boggling..

Personally, I am currently favoring Androgynous Ant Attractant from Come-To-Me Scents.. This particular scent has resulted in an even dozen record-sized trophy ants of both sexes since it's introduction late in 2005..

I was fortunate enough to have my personal best female ant score 327 5/8th's in the Barnes & Cricket Record Book.. As everyone knows, the females are almost always larger than the males..Her antennae are considered to be particularly nice, displaying great symetry..

Taking pride of placeas a full mount with fangs bared & placed in a shadow box on the wall above my fireplace in the game room, I can honestly say that I am as proud of ANTonia (my nickname for her) as I am of any of the other species that I have harvested..

Another hard decision for the intrepid ant hunter is whether to still hunt / stalk, or to hunt from a tree stand..

Quite a debate is raging at this time with about half of all ant hunters choosing to still hunt, & the other half choosing to use a tree stand..

For those choosing to still hunt the added challenge of tracking ants comes into play..

As anyone who has hunted ants can tell you, tracking ants is extremely difficult..

Since most hunters attempting to still hunt ants do not possess the required skill to track ants, the incidence of "lost", wounded ants has risen precipitously..

Since a wounded ant is an angry, dangerous ant, proper ant hunting ettiquitte requires that all wounded ants be tracked & dispatched..With the lously tracking skills evidenced by the still hunting crowd there are a lot of angry ants roaming the woods..

As a result of all of the wounded ants there is a growing movement amongst many state DNR's to add Ant Tracking to the Basic, Intermediate, & Advanced Ant Hunter's Safety Classes.. High time, if you ask me!!..

Thus the discord between the still hunters & the tree standers..Besides the bad sportsmanship, p***ed off ants tend not to discriminate when attacking..

Tree standers also have some disquiet growing in their ranks..For those choosing to hunt from a tree stand the choice of which tree stand to use requires much consideration..

Those fortunate enough to inherit or to have snagged off of e-Bay one of the rare Herter's Super Acme Ant Stands have a 100% greater chance of snagging a once-in-a-lifetime "trophy" ant than do those without..

When old George Leonard passed away the secret of the Super Acme Ant Stand passed with him..

The greater success rate of the Super Acme is due to it being impregnated with a lifetime supply of a proprietary ant scent that hides human odor, & really attracts those trophy sized ants..

Those that are not blessed with owning a Super Acme Ant Stand are understandably jealous and angry of those that do..Oh well, c'est la vie!!..

Well Dawg, I'm going to sign off now..Got to get a good nights sleep so I can start practising my marksmanship prepatory to my next ant hunt..

The next time you decide to stand on a ant nest give me a call & I'll come down to shoot them while you snap away!!

Sincerly, Your Fellow Ant Hunting Buddy,

Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:11 AM   #13

Hey Dawg,
Try that flash well diffused ... smallest aperture and a fast sync speed 1/180 assuming K10D is same as K100D in that respect and use focus trap, you should get excellent results, as below ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:12 AM   #14

or this ...
Attached Images

Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:02 AM   #15

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I would have shot the ants but I left the 45 in the house.
A 45 for a couple ants?
::cough:: Redneck ::cough::

Just kidding, no offense is meant by that...

Nick
Non taken as you being from South Carolina you'd know a good old boy or redneck when ya saw one.LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:03 AM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I' would have shot the ants but I left the 45 in the house.

Dawg
ROTFL! Ant spray would be easier.

It looks like you are going to have a great time with this lens - by the way, I really like your leaf (your ant hill distracted me)
Thank you Harriet...It captured exactly what I saw when first I looked at that leaf.

Dawg

Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:11 AM   #17

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
LOL! It does take some getting used to. I'm trying to decide whether to ask hubby for a flash or a lens for Christmas. I've been using the on-board flash and it's OK as long as you take the time to check your results and adjust the flash output accordingly (and don't try to use it at 1:1). I can see where things would be easier with either a hotshoe flash or one off the camera.

Tripod is nice but not absolutely necessary. A monopod also helps to provide extra support with longer shutter speeds. The lens shoots very nicely at f16 by the way.

Antnests/holes are not appropriate places to stand. The least you could have done after standing on their home was to take some 1:1 pictures of them - maybe trying for their good side portrait would have appeased them?
Naw I've tried getting used to a flash but have never liked using one. Tripod will help tremendously as the focus is so micro in nature. Not a sports lens for sure as it takes so long to go from one end of the focus range to the other. I' would have shot the ants but I left the 45 in the house.

Dawg
Hey Dawg,

A Les Baer .45 Long Slide works REAL well for ants..

The extra accuracy of 1.5" groups at 50 yards comes in very handy!!

Althoughordinary handgunning is challenging in & of itself, the challenge in ant hunting seems to be in shootinga single ant per bullet fired..

From what I understand, it is considered quite bad form to kill more than one ant per shot!! (no indescriminate "spray" shooting allowed here)..

Anyone doing so can expect to recieve "quiet censure" from ones fellow hunters while sitting around the fire drinking whiskey after a long, hard days hunt..

More than one bad shot in a hunt may see you being sent to a Remedial Ant Marksmanship Class at your local State Ant Hunting Safety School..

Set up by all 50 states DNR's these schools & their respective classes are to ensure that anyone undertakingthe challenge of Ant Hunting willbe properly versed in marksmanship, ethics, sportsmanship, & ant hunting ettiquitte..

Check out the latest issue of American Ant Handgunner Magazine for a comprehensive review on the "best" pistols for ant hunting..

BTW, the same issue has an article on Alabama Ant Safaris if there are not enough ants around your house to satisfy your desire to pursue ants..

Of course, the well-heeled ant hunter will book a reservation with the famous Ant Hunters Safari International..

Their most popular safaris are in Africa, Indonesia, & South America where one may pursue the extremely dangerous Big Three of the ant world..

Although the American Fire Ant is not considered to beas dangerous as the Big Three, hunting your local fauna will put you in good stead if you decide to hunt overseas..

Adequate pre-hunt shooting is absolutely mandatory, especially if you are going on safari..

A minimum of 500 rounds per week for 3 monthsprior tohunting should bringyour marksmanship skills to theappropiate levels for the One Shot-One Ant Standard..

Proximity counts..Practice..Practice..Practice..

And don't forget the classified ads in American Ant Handgunner Magazine for all of the auxillary gear required for the well equiped "Great White Ant Hunter"..

A full Ant Camoflage Suit from Cabelas is "de rigeur" for any hunter taking up this "sport"..Not to be forgotten is the new Real Wild Ant pattern from RealTree..Gathering quite a reputation, especially east of the Mississippi..

Be sure to choose the proper style of camo depending upon the species of ant that you are hunting, as a poor choice may result in the dreaded No Ants Seen While On Safari Syndrome..

Closely related to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, No Ants Seen While On Safari Syndrome has been known to sideline even the most commited of ant hunters with near crippling depression..

A friend of mine gave up ant hunting altogether after suffering NASWOSSdue tobeing skunked on safari in Malaysia last year..Bad advice from a salesman led to improper camo, & no ants..Very, very sad..

Something else to consider are the various scents being marketed..With well over 100 different scents from 36 companies the choices can be mind-boggling..

Personally, I am currently favoring Androgynous Ant Attractant from Come-To-Me Scents.. This particular scent has resulted in an even dozen record-sized trophy ants of both sexes since it's introduction late in 2005..

I was fortunate enough to have my personal best female ant score 327 5/8th's in the Barnes & Cricket Record Book.. As everyone knows, the females are almost always larger than the males..Her antennae are considered to be particularly nice, displaying great symetry..

Taking pride of placeas a full mount with fangs bared & placed in a shadow box on the wall above my fireplace in the game room, I can honestly say that I am as proud of ANTonia (my nickname for her) as I am of any of the other species that I have harvested..

Another hard decision for the intrepid ant hunter is whether to still hunt / stalk, or to hunt from a tree stand..

Quite a debate is raging at this time with about half of all ant hunters choosing to still hunt, & the other half choosing to use a tree stand..

For those choosing to still hunt the added challenge of tracking ants comes into play..

As anyone who has hunted ants can tell you, tracking ants is extremely difficult..

Since most hunters attempting to still hunt ants do not possess the required skill to track ants, the incidence of "lost", wounded ants has risen precipitously..

Since a wounded ant is an angry, dangerous ant, proper ant hunting ettiquitte requires that all wounded ants be tracked & dispatched..With the lously tracking skills evidenced by the still hunting crowd there are a lot of angry ants roaming the woods..

As a result of all of the wounded ants there is a growing movement amongst many state DNR's to add Ant Tracking to the Basic, Intermediate, & Advanced Ant Hunter's Safety Classes.. High time, if you ask me!!..

Thus the discord between the still hunters & the tree standers..Besides the bad sportsmanship, p***ed off ants tend not to discriminate when attacking..

Tree standers also have some disquiet growing in their ranks..For those choosing to hunt from a tree stand the choice of which tree stand to use requires much consideration..

Those fortunate enough to inherit or to have snagged off of e-Bay one of the rare Herter's Super Acme Ant Stands have a 100% greater chance of snagging a once-in-a-lifetime "trophy" ant than do those without..

When old George Leonard passed away the secret of the Super Acme Ant Stand passed with him..

The greater success rate of the Super Acme is due to it being impregnated with a lifetime supply of a proprietary ant scent that hides human odor, & really attracts those trophy sized ants..

Those that are not blessed with owning a Super Acme Ant Stand are understandably jealous and angry of those that do..Oh well, c'est la vie!!..

Well Dawg, I'm going to sign off now..Got to get a good nights sleep so I can start practising my marksmanship prepatory to my next ant hunt..

The next time you decide to stand on a ant nest give me a call & I'll come down to shoot them while you snap away!!

Sincerly, Your Fellow Ant Hunting Buddy,

Bruce

Bruce!!! I'm honored, Astounded, AMAZED...(Add any adjective here) That some one would or could write the reply you just posted. Forget the content....Well- I read it and agree and was well aware of most of the rules and laws anyway...But I just want to ask one question....Can I repost this in another forum? One of the most imaginative posts I've seen in a long long time. Thank you my friend for re-awakening those almost lost and forgotten rules and laws. By the by...Your score would only put you in the kiddie league in Alabama. A lower score would only allow you to shoot with the folks at the nursing home. LOL M 1911 all the way.

Dawg
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:15 AM   #18

Thank you Jack. I'll consider it. Your photos and those by Alex are making me reconsider. The Viv. Flash has a good difuser on it..

Have you ever looked here?
http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Dawg
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:59 AM   #19

Dawg

Feel free to post my Ant Hunting Missive on any other forum that you dersire!!

My original intent was to posta toungue-in-cheek one liner about the Les Baer .45 Long Slide, post the reply, & move on..

I believe that I sat down to check out Steve's about 10:30 or so last night..Right after typing the line re: the Les Baer I had to go use the bathroom..

Upon coming back to the computer, one thought led to another, & I just kept typing on..Absolutely could not stop adding one thought to another..Never done anything like it before!!..

The next thing I knew it was 3:01 A.M. when I hit the send button..

As you might surmise, I have shot firearms & hunted..The whole post turned from a mild teasing of you for the idea of shooting at ants with a .45 into a serious poking of fun at shooting & hunting in general..

I hope that everyone who readsit will take it in the way it was intended..Humourous and not seriously!!

The Colt 1911A1 .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun is my favorite pistol to shoot..

My dream is to own a Les Baer someday!!

BTW, your photos are exellent..They show steady improvement & reflect your passion for photography..Good luck with learning to use flash..

Keep up the good work!!

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:09 AM   #20

Dawg,
You'll likely need more diffusion with close-ups and particularly macros, the shots above were done with the OB flash wound down as low as it will go and added diffusion. Like Roy I think macro and flash go hand in hand. Just my thoughts .. can only suggest you try it. ... Jack.