Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:01 PM   #1

Today I took out my *istD, which I haven't used in a while, and mountedmy old 17mm fisheye Takumar threadmountwith an adapter to try out. On remounting the kit lens I found it would no longer autofocus from the shutter button, but only by pressing the AF button on the back. The shutter releases and takes a picture without focusing when the switch is set to AF-C, AF-S, or MF; the rear button AF is disabled on MF as it should be, butworks in the AF positions. I put in fresh batteries, reset all the defaults, including the main and the 3 Custom menus, and tried a couple of different lenses,but nothing restored the function. Has anyone had this happen on any of their Pentaxes? I am not aware of anything that can disable one function without the other - is there any sort of "operator error" that could cause this?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:54 PM   #2

Long shot but did you try replacing the lithium battery under the circular coin slot on the bottom??? Not likely but worth a try.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:57 PM   #3

Are you sure your menu setting for autofocus on half-press is set to do this? It would work as you describe if it was set to not.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:53 AM   #4

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
Long shot but did you try replacing the lithium battery under the circular coin slot on the bottom??? Not likely but worth a try.
It uses 4 NiMH cells, and yes, I did, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:02 PM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure your menu setting for autofocus on half-press is set to do this? It would work as you describe if it was set to not.

brian
I was, but it wasn't in one of the three custom modes. It must have been accidentally changed when I made the setup for the manual lens. When I did the resets, I assumed it would be "On" since it autofocussed out of the box, but the default is "Off" which I didn't expect, .

Thanks for the reminder to recheck. It's OK now.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:15 PM   #6

penolta wrote:
Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
It uses 4 NiMH cells, and yes, I did, but thanks for the suggestion.
Glad you got it sorted out. BUT what I was referrring to is the little button battery.

See the picture, Pentax recommends changing every 3 years I believe

:
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted out. BUT what I was referrring to is the little button battery.

See the picture, Pentax recommends changing every 3 years I believe
The manual (which I read before putting up this post) recommends every 5 years, and there is supposed to be an error message thatappears on the panel when the AA cells are changed - this did not happen; the date was correct, but the year on the info screen was wrong and had to be reset. In view of the unexplained program shift it might be prudent to change it early, as it might not have been fresh when the camera was purchased (new) a little over 3 years ago. Wrist watches and other electronics often come with starter batteries that have a shorter life than standard ones, but I doubt Pentax would have done that.

----------------

It was probably an accident on my part when setting up for the manual lens, but I went ahead and replaced the battery (a standard Panasonic CR2016) with a new one; the old one tested good (well into the green on the button cell circuit), but was not quite up to the full 3 volts, so I will discard it to be on the safe side. Thanks for the nudge - I might not have given it a second thought..