Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:51 PM   #1

First - I know it a small item in terms of everything in the world, but after a while, I just get sick and tired of having to rotate images so that they have the correct orientation (landscape or portrait). Every browser I have used, recognizes the orientation on my P&S (Canon SD500) and displays them properly, but my Pentax K100D is orientation challenged.

All it would take is a small sensor (it would add just about zero cost to the camera body), the EXIF field is already allocated in the image's Meta Data, the camera body just needs to sense the orientation (vertical or horizontal) and set the field so that when image is written, the browser can determine what side of the frame of the picture is the bottom and then properly display the image. The camera does just about everything else, how about this - it is pretty simple. Is this a feature on the K10D?

The added accelerometers to sense vibration for the shake reduction (image stablization), it is child's play to add something to sense the orientation of how the camera is being held (vertical or horizontal).

Second - The other thing is a soft cloth bag of some kind for the lens. They, the lenses are expensive enough, made in Vietnam, it should only be what - a nickel each to make. Or at least have a set of bags available. The padded bag / case that came with the 10-17 goes for something like $30 each. I just saw a source for lens bags the other day on evil bay - a couple of dollars each in various sizes, so at least now there is a source.

So, there are two to begin with - any other small complaints?

... back to painting -
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:54 PM   #2

NO TTL !!!!!!
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:05 PM   #3

Discontinuing outstanding lenses and not replacing them with something even better.

A* and FA*200 mm Macro, A* and FA* tele lenses, 28 mm Shift lens... and more.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:10 PM   #4

Technology to sense/implement the orientation does not matter - TTL or what ever - heck use mercoid switches. Just determine what side of the image's frame (top, bottom, left or right) is the bottom and mark the EXIF accordingly. That is all that is being requested....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:23 PM   #5

I don't understand your last post, I belive that Roy was posting an additional complaint... not an answer to yours.

BTW: The K10d does have the orientation sensor in the camera, so the pictures show up correctly. Not sure about the K100d, but if it does, there should be some options under the Custom menus.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:43 PM   #6

A nit pick, too.. K100D AEL button right where the side of my finger finds it accidentally every 2 minutes without an easy way to quickly disengage it.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:35 PM   #7

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Technology to sense/implement the orientation does not matter - TTL or what ever - heck use mercoid switches. Just determine what side of the image's frame (top, bottom, left or right) is the bottom and mark the EXIF accordingly. That is all that is being requested....
what????
i have no clue to what is said here.
you asked for complaints.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:05 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
NO TTL !!!!!!
I see the lament of Pentax & other digital cameras not having TTL flash capability on this & other forums..

As far as TTL flash for Pentax digital cameras is concerned, is there a reason that it is not on the K100D??..K110D??..K10D??..

I know that most (all??) of the *st-series cameras had this feature..

Does Pentax offer a reason why it was dropped on subsequent cameras??

What exactly are the pros & cons of TTL flash vs. P-TTL flash??..Real world usage vs. specs??..

Please correct me if I am wrong, but before the advent of TTL flash in film SLR cameras one had to use a light meter to estimate the amount of flash required to illuminate the subject??..

Then the flash was set according to the distance that the light had to travel, the focal length of the lens, the aperture setting of the lens, the shutter speed setting of the camera, & the speed of the film being used??..

Thanks, Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:12 PM   #9

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the only Pentax DSLR with TTL was the *ist D.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:15 PM   #10

DS-also-the only (2) that I know of
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote