Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:10 PM   #1

i can't afford a large namebrand backpack. it's got to carry my biggest lens that's the takumer K500/4.5..
it's 19'' x 5.5''. just wondering if anyone has experience with this one.

»cgi.ebay.com/All-Weather-Camera-···ViewItem

it's also the same as this one

»cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Mf···61533783

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:06 PM   #2

I've got one Roy, it is made well but it sure does get heavy with all the gear in it. I had to buy a rolling travel suitcase to put the backpack in. Between your back and the backpack it is not very breathable so it gets nice and hot really quick. Padding is adequate, but for the $55 I paid for the backpack, it stores everything!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:37 PM   #3

good, i got it for 34 tho.

i'm hoping i'll like it because it will tote the 500mm.
yes, i can imagine what it'll weigh loaded. i've just been looking for something that the 500 will fit in. the choice is limited especially after you abandon the namebrands priced at 150++. is it comfortable and adjustable? does it have a belt strap?? also , does it have a tripod holder??

roy
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:51 PM   #4

It has a decent waist belt and also I found the chest strap to be pretty beneficial. It does have some drawstrings on each side of the backpack that you could attach a tripod or monopod to. I've attached my tripod to mine only once and that's when I realized the backpack must have weighed 50+ pounds with everything. The backpack alone is a pretty decent weight empty with all the padding. It has a detachable daypack that works well enough to hold a 15.4" laptop if you put it in a neoprene sleve to pad it.

I mostly use a Tamrac Expedition 5 when I go out and only take a handful of equipment. But when I've got to take everything, that pack works as advertised.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:59 PM   #5

roy, I don't have that one, but a similar off-brand one....a copy of a Lowepro. It's great for storage, but I carried it through airports this summer on my vacation trip to Virginia, and I can testify to the effect of the weight of one of these big ones. Having my full selection of lenses with me was great, but I have found myself leaving the big bag packed, then selecting and packing a small bag for daily use carrying only the lenses I think I will use.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:12 PM   #6

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
roy, I don't have that one, but a similar off-brand one....a copy of a Lowepro. It's great for storage, but I carried it through airports this summer on my vacation trip to Virginia, and I can testify to the effect of the weight of one of these big ones. Having my full selection of lenses with me was great, but I have found myself leaving the big bag packed, then selecting and packing a small bag for daily use carrying only the lenses I think I will use.
thanks for the replies. it's about what i expected. basically i wanted something to take everything including the 500. it's a monster so it'll take something large.. how was the reception at the airport??

roy
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:23 PM   #7

Hey Roy, this is the one that I got a year or so ago...not that it matters to you since you already have it coming. I just thought I would advertise this one as well. Great $ and my Sigma 170-500 fits nicely in the middle & all of my "smaller" lenses fit along the sides. I would have posted a pic of mine but I've been keeping my flash in it instead & don't have the time right now to rearrange. Oh also...the waist strap is good & has held the test of time so far!

Good luck with the new purchase, Roy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apollo-Camera-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:25 PM   #8

Hi Roy

I agree with the others. While i love my LowePro, It can raise H--ll With Your back. If You have any problems at all with your back don't do it!!! I have had several Occasions were I Could not use because of my back. So, for those occasions i would use my Shoulder bag and just take what i Need.
As to the airports. When I Took Mine thru JFK and Miami International this year there were no problems at all. It just went Thru the scanner and i Picked it up on the other side.
However YMMV.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:46 PM   #9

phil,
that's exactly how i planned to use it. if i'm just bouncing around i use shorts with cargo pockets and a monopod. if it an extended shoot, i'll take the lp ex160 and a tripod. but, there are those times when i want it all. and not just lenses.

roy
edit: everything contained in my body hurts except my back which i've used correctly all my remembered past. knock on wood.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:18 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
edit: everything contained in my body hurts except my back which i've used correctly all my remembered past. knock on wood.
Consider yourself lucky. I have the other aches and pains (as I've mentioned) AND an arthritic back. Just can't win, can I?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote