Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:24 PM   #11

patty,
i use the rayovac Hybrids, similar to the eneloops. first set i used straight out of the package = 860 shoots. 1st set recharged and using the flash at least 50 times = 1200 shots over a months time. i recommend these HIGHLY!! uses a regular charger that does NCad and NmH batteries. you can get them at walmart, fry's and they are cheaper than eneloops. these have really opened this old dogs eyes about batteries.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:08 PM   #12

Patty

I Use CRV-3 and I have 4 sets of MAHA Powerex 2600 batterys and 1 set Sanyo 2700 Battereys. All Of Them have served me very well. As of late however, i have ( out Of Pure lazyness) Been using the CRV-3.
I had purchased 4 sets for my cruise ealier this year and Never even finished the First set. So I am using these First.

Hows the Foliage going Up there. We actually have Some color here, But Saturdays wind storm Blew most of them Down. I Hope To get up to Keene( I Own Two Acres there) in a few weeks. To check On it and view the Foliage.

Phil.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:24 PM   #13

I work using a 3-tiered battery system.

First in the lineup are my trusty RadioShack 2000 mAh NiMH batteries. I usually get the majority of my photos using these batteries over a short period of about 2-3 weeks of light usage.

If those go out, then I have my rechargable Emerging Power CR-V3 batteries that I got from Radio Shack. I know Pentax says not to use rechargable CR-V3 batteries in the K100D, but I don't care. I always carry this with my camera.

Rarely has it come to the point where my backup batteries die. Only once has this happened. As a backup to the backup, I have a pair of disposable Duracell CR-V3 batteries that I sometimes bring. If I ever have to use the disposable batteries, then I use it to the end and buy a new pair so I know the failover is always ready.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:13 PM   #14

Energizer 2500 mah here and never have I had a problem. Heck, I swap them out every few hundred photos just to do it. I've only experienced problems like you seem to have there using regular old AA duracells (which is all I had when I first got the camera)

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:46 PM   #15

patty.

the prob with NiMH is they self discharge. the older they get, the faster they do it. i have many sets that are worthless after 2 days of being rechagred and sitting on the shelf.

get the hybrids,
roy
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:49 PM   #16

Thanks everyone for the additional comments. Seeing that some of you also use the 2000 or 2100 mAh batteries makes me wonder what my problem is. I did check the paperwork from Pentax and they highlighted on what looks like a generic battery memo "it was primarily designed to utilize a CR-V3 disposable lithium battery as it's primary power source." Other tips mentioned, "if you use AA rechargeable batteries, use only the NiMH batteries with the highest mAh rating you can find (2500 mAh or more preferably). However, these batteries operate at a lower voltage and need to be charged more often."

Regarding your comments, Corpsy.. yes, that is correct. It is not capturing what I'm expecting knowing what I have the settings set for. I don't have the camera set for bracketing or +/- exposure compensation. All settings are set to middle setting where available. Also, the lens I had in yesterday was the 18-55 kit lens. So, not manual.

I'll reset back to all the default settings and see what happens. I could maybe load a series of the photos when it's happened tomy google site. But, I wouldn't want anyone to have to spend a lot of time looking through all the EXIF data. The reason I suspect it is the batteries is, whenever it happens, either taking them out and putting back in or putting in fresh batteries solves the problem. I just can't predict when it will happen.

For user error understanding, if I set the camera to AV and select a particular aperture, if all the settings are set to 0 exposure and no bracketing, isn'tthe camera supposed to select the correct exposure time? I'mused to having it set on full manual including manual focus, but am (or at least thought I did) understanding that using the AV setting is preferential for quicker shots.

Sorry to take up so much on this. I was initially looking just to see if maybe a lot of others were using some different batteries that might be better with the K100. Since I was getting about 700-800 shots out of the CRV3's, maybe I'll just go back to them.
:-)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:54 PM   #17

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Patty

Hows the Foliage going Up there. We actually have Some color here, But Saturdays wind storm Blew most of them Down. I Hope To get up to Keene( I Own Two Acres there) in a few weeks. To check On it and view the Foliage.

Phil.
It's going to be a very dull foliage season I suspect. We've had trees changing for the past few weeks already. And, some are just going from green to brown and falling off the tree. We are in the southeast corner about 20 miles from the coast.

Will be heading up to Montreal next week with my parents who arrive from California on Tuesday. Hoping to maybe see some on the way up there since it's coming so early this year.

Patty

Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:57 PM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
patty.

the prob with NiMH is they self discharge. the older they get, the faster they do it. i have many sets that are worthless after 2 days of being rechagred and sitting on the shelf.

get the hybrids,
roy
Roy,

I thought the Rayovac Hybrids were both NiMH and hybrids? They do last long on a charge. I haven't charged these for three weeks. I did read that sometimes the charge lasts longer the more times it's been charged (within reason). I have four sets and finally numbered them so I could tell which sets had been used how many times. But, I keep forgetting to track it since they don't get charged very often.

Patty
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:05 AM   #19

NiMH batteries lose 10% of their charge in the first 24 hours, then 1% per day after that. If your batteries don't have 60% of thier capacity after a month, then your cells are bad.

Commonly, it is not ALL cells that are bad, but rather just one cell that does not hold it's charge and the other 3 are still half full. But the K100 needs all 4 to operate, and thus stops working.

If you have a battery charger that can tell you the capacity of your NiMH batteries, you can match up the good ones and dispose of the bad ones.

Good quality NiMH still provide more capacity that hybrids, and are thus the preferred choce of those taking lots of photos.

I use both 2000mAh eneloops and 2700mAh Powerex AA's in my K100D. From y experience of discharge rates of each set, I think a good rule of thumb is - if you take less than 300 photo's per month, use hybrids and take advantage of their slow discharge. If you take more than 300 per month, use high quality NiMH batteries and take advantage of their higher capacity.

And if you take less than 100 shots per month, you dont need a charger - just use non rechargeable lithium batteries.
servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:48 AM   #20

servaasproducts wrote:
Quote:
NiMH batteries lose 10% of their charge in the first 24 hours, then 1% per day after that. If your batteries don't have 60% of thier capacity after a month, then your cells are bad.
this is true with them when they are new but in time they will be worthless in a few days after recharging.

patty , the rayovac hybrids are the best around. i've gone from 8-10 sets of batteries that i never knew were charged or not to 4 sets. 1set for each cam, a set for the flash, and a backup. i've had these 4 seys for months and have only recharged them 1 or 2 times. get some of the battery holders that hold 4 batteries each and a good recharger.

roy