Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:54 AM   #11

Great series, Glen! You're making my mouth water as well! Especially since they are close to where my ancestors are from. According to a family tree, my "Rasp" ancestry comes from a town called Freinsheim, Pfalz which I believe is northwest of where you are, right? Ready for a good laugh....I understand that one of my family was the "local wine merchant" & I'm pretty sure that was a polite way of saying "the town drunk":G:G

Well until I can afford to get to the Rheinland for the wine, I guess I will have to stick to all of the local wineries here in Southern Illinois...which are wonderful, if I may add!

THanks for sharing the series, Glen!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:01 PM   #12

Ron, We are about 2 to 3 hours south east of Freinsheim as you said. We have been up near there at the army base (Kaiserslautern) and air force base (Ramstein) because our kids play sports against the DODDS teams there. This is one beautiful piece of God's creation!!
Attached Images

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:21 PM   #13

You won't find any argument from me about that area being among the prettiest in the world. Even though it's been more than 25 years since I last drove the back roads between Kaiserslautern and Karlsruhe, I still remember the drive as being a wonderful way to spend a day.

Edited to add the "l" in Karlsruhe - I hate the keyboard on the one computer at work that I can use and get away with cruising the net on break.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:41 PM   #14

I lived in Germany three different times, enjoyed all of them, lived in Erlangen, Heidelberg, and Kaisterlautern. Played golf at Ramstein, toured all over, One thing about europe, if you dont like the sceanery, take a drive, it changes rapidly. and everywhere you look is history.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:05 PM   #15

Glen, if that is typical of the area & from what I've read on the net about the Rhineland area, all that I can wonder is ....why would my ancestors want to leave??? I'm sure they had their reasons but...wow that is gorgeous! Someday....someday...someday!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:52 AM   #16

Thanks for bringing back fond memories. As you and I have discussed before, I enjoyed living in Heidelberg during both of my tours. I returned in Nov. 06 for 3 weeks doing some work in Heidelberg, Stuttgart, K-Town, and Naples, Italy. Too bad my wife wasn't able to go with me. We always enjoyed the scenery and the wine fests.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:36 AM   #17

I think this thread displays why we don't need Disneylands i Europe. The real thing surpasses the artificial. Ever seen an Alp cottage?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:03 PM   #18

Kjell, Here is one that is taken from an Alps cottage with some others spread about. It was a beautiful day in a town called Adelboden which is not far from Interlaken.

Glenn
Attached Images

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote