Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:39 AM   #1

After a lot of help from you folks over in the lenses forum, I finally ordered my K10d yesterday online.I went to the only camera store in Tucson (900,000 people, only one store?) that had both cameras. I was set on the K100d as I'm a newbie to DSLR, but decided to play with the k10 anyway. I found that because of a problem with my left arm (long story) and the small left-side grip area on the k100, I couldn't use it with any comfort or stability (my arm won't allow me to support the camera under the lens). Hence the K10 order. Probably a tall order being my first dslr, but now that I've ordered it I'm happy I won't be envious of the weather seals, 10mp, etc.

I'll be back in 18 months when I understand how to use the darn thing:O

Todd
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

Hope you'll be back a lot sooner than that asking questions about things. Don't hestitate to ask - there's lots of knowledgeable people around here.

Make sure to read the owners manual when you are charging your batteries - it's pretty dry but does explain things reasonably well. Don't worry about remembering it all at once - there's still things on the K10 I don't use so can't remember what they are for. Then, once you have a vague idea how to operate the camera and the batteries are charged - go out and have FUN!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm really looking forward to learning it, actually.

A question on the manual: Is there a recommended book out there for the K10 that might augment or replace the manual? I've seen the Magic Lantern and some other company. Are these any good?

Todd
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:08 PM   #4

Put the SD card in and the battery then put everything in green then attach the Kit lens and start shooting. You'll learn the rest soon enough. Do things one step at a time and do them repeatedly till you are comfortable then move on to something else. Not rocket science here and the camera will do a lot of the thinking for you in all Auto mode. LOL Well it did for me anyway...Have fun above all. You'll not be Ansell Addams at the end of the week but you will feel great! Post some photos as you go along and ask folks to comment on them. Just be sure to include the settings you used for the folks without a EXIF reader.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:34 PM   #5

There's a book out there.
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:53 PM   #6

I bought the Magic Lantern book and found it useful. It's got a good section about flash (well, it was good for me because I finally sort-of got a handle on what guide numbers mean. Others might find it too basic). It's much like the owners manual, but has more "use this in this type of situation" description. The owners manual tells you how to do things, but does tend to assume that you understand why you might want to do that thing in the first place. It givesa bit ofgeneral photography information, but not all that much, the book more (though its emphasis is still how-to instead of why would I). Both are fairly dry reading.If you hang around here for very long, you'll get more information about technique than either the manual or the book have, though not so much about the how-to.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:57 PM   #7

If you'll go here there is tons of info on flash use.....http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:23 AM   #8

Congratulations tnaskedov, I know you've been doing a lot of research, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your purchase. What lens combo did you settle on?

You've been given good advice by the other shooters in this forum. To which, I would add, after you've shot for a couple of weeks, read the owners' manual again. Then again later, as you add levels of comfort to your shooting.

As a newbie to DSLR, there was a lot in the owner's manual that made no sense to me the first couple of times I read it, but it all begins to come into focus as I try new things with the camera, and I find myself saying "Ah, that's what it means," very often. I downloaded the PDF version of the manual from the Pentax site and keep it on my primary hard drive so I can quickly reference it any time I am at my computer.

If I remember correctly from another thread, you're a school teacher (and believe me, I do know the limitations of budgets on teacher salaries all too well since my wife just retired from teaching and I have another 10 years to go), so file this one away under the "next time we get a raise" category. You mention the difficulty with your left hand. Purchasing the battery grip for the K10d gives you a very strong, positive, right hand grip position. I bought mine with the grip because I have very large hands and I wanted the extra length to the grip. I find the grip allows me to shoot one handed with a level of confidence that I don't think I'd have without it, in addition to easy portrait orientation.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:51 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice! I went with the kit and the 50-200, just to keep a neat package, I guess. I had looked at spending more on lenses early on, but having to go with the k10 and the fact that my learning the camera would negate any advantage to having a better lens made me a lot more comfortable with just those two. I'm hoping after awhile I'll find a consistent set of focal lengths that I use andthat, with anability to use the camera better,will allow me to get better or more specialized lenses (macro, primes, etc.)

I see you have soccer in your icon, do you coach? I'm the head baseball coach at my high school.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:15 PM   #10

The grip is also something that you should try before you buy. I was lucky enough to handle one that a Pentax rep had when he was visiting my local camera store and discovered that there's no way I can shoot with one - my hands are just too small and my fingers are too short to go around the grip and handle focusing/zooming. Italso makes the cameranoticably heavier. It seems like there's no middle ground with them - you either love them or can't use them at all. They are quite useful for shooting portrait mode so I was disappointed that it didn't work for me.