Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:04 PM   #1

Lots of them.

Some big

Some not so big

Some that jumped over things

One that had a drummer on its back

There were even some that were lying down on the job

And this is one of those

And at the end, some even galloped

Finally one of them took to the sky!

OK, it's not a horse. It's a Red Kite. A bird that was extinct in England, it was re-introduced in the Chilterns and is now a very common site in the area.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2

Love the series (but then, I love horses). Where were you - looks like a horse show. But around here the shows don't usually mix driving with jumping. I love the lighting on the first jumper - by the way, did they have a pole down? It almost looks like the horse is going to rub with it's fetlock, but it could have been the angle. In any case, neat pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:52 AM   #3

i hate horses but the series is nice.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:08 PM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Love the series (but then, I love horses). Where were you - looks like a horse show. But around here the shows don't usually mix driving with jumping. I love the lighting on the first jumper - by the way, did they have a pole down? It almost looks like the horse is going to rub with it's fetlock, but it could have been the angle. In any case, neat pictures.
It wasn't a horse show it was an agricultural show. There would normally be sheep and cattle but with the foot and mouth problems there weren't any (again!). There were also a number of tractors (from quite old to new) on show as well as dog shows, pet rabbits, pigeons, and caged birds. Something we didn't see but might try and see next year (I say next next but I hadn't been for over 20 years prior to this week) would be the ploughing match. I assumed this would be tractors pulling ploughs but it was actually 2 large horses with plough and man following in the rear.

I quite like watching the horses despite my nervousness when around them. I used the opportunity to fire off loads and load of shots. I was lucky in that I was very close to jumps 1, 2, and 3 so it was a case of aim, focus, frame, shoot towards jump 1 then the same at 2 and 3. Not really sure what I learned but I had fun and that's part of the reason for having a camera.

I don't think that the pole did go down that time. It's funny but I'm sure I got a couple of horses knocking a pole off but when I looked at the pictures, I couldn't see any. It's all about the timing of the shot I suppose. Mind you I have a feeling the this horse did knock the pole off.
Attached Images

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:12 AM   #5

Keith, Those are really nice especially 4, 5 and 8. I like thekite, too! Well done!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote