Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:58 PM   #1

Photographer, Fog, & Horses

We have clients this week filming bow hunting show for the Outdoor Channel. On the way back to the lodge this morning one of our guides stopped his truck and one of the TV camera guys jumped out to take a photo of some horses in the fog.

Now I cut out the Camera Guy

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:07 PM   #2

Really love the first one. The camera guy adds drama.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:07 PM   #3

I prefer the camera guy one, too. Love the lighting and conditions you were shooting in - very dramatic. I can think of a couple of reasons, but I'm so bad at most composition stuff I almost hesitate to offer an opinion why I prefer the one with the camera guy in it. I really should take a photography course and learn about what makes a great picture great (it's far more than just technical competence).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:56 PM   #4

I would prefer the second one because it looks more pastoral, if it weren't for the horse on the right staring intentlyin the direction of the photographer who is no longer there. It feels like something is missing.The horse'sair of apprehension at the approach of thecameraman who cannot be seen disrupts the peaceful feeling, so the presence of the photographer in the first one is in the proper context.

A little less sky and more foreground in the second one might help the overall balance of the edited shot.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:21 PM   #5

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Really love the first one. The camera guy adds drama.

Kjell
We agree I also like the first one the best. Thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:12 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I prefer the camera guy one, too. Love the lighting and conditions you were shooting in - very dramatic. I can think of a couple of reasons, but I'm so bad at most composition stuff I almost hesitate to offer an opinion why I prefer the one with the camera guy in it. I really should take a photography course and learn about what makes a great picture great (it's far more than just technical competence).
Hi mtngal, thanks for the nice comment and for looking. I never have figured out what makes good composition. I just try to take a picture of what I like.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 22, 2007, 2:13 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
I would prefer the second one because it looks more pastoral, if it weren't for the horse on the right staring intentlyin the direction of the photographer who is no longer there. It feels like something is missing.The horse'sair of apprehension at the approach of thecameraman who cannot be seen disrupts the peaceful feeling, so the presence of the photographer in the first one is in the proper context.

A little less sky and more foreground in the second one might help the overall balance of the edited shot.
Thanks for the ideas penolta. I also thank you for your ctitic that is how I am trying to learn this camera stuff.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:55 PM   #8

I had a couple of folks suggest a pano look for this photo.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:17 PM   #9

The colorpanorama is good. The b&w looks more like a dust strom tha! a fog bank!:G
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:51 PM   #10

penolta wrote:
Quote:
The colorpanorama is good. The b&w looks more like a dust strom tha! a fog bank!:G
I sure didn't think that about the black & white until you mentioned it. I agree with you about it looks like dust. Thanks again.

TOTALLY WACKY roger