Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:27 PM   #1

Crow / Raven = Big Black Bird

I still get confused about if it is a crow or a raven. I just can't remember for some reason.

I had fun with this character, I used a crow call and every time I used it he looked at me sideways but would not turn and look right at me. Made me think he was telling me forget it I know its you not another "Big Black Bird"

How about a limb frame

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2

Hi Roger,

There's a lot of contrast in that shot -- a black bird in the sunshine against a bright blue sky and light colored branches -- I'd say it's well done! More exposure to get the shadow details and you blow the branches, less to get the branches, and you've got a black bird-shaped blob.

I think it's a crow -- don't have much call to differentiate tho -- I don't think there are many ravens in my neck of the woods. . . and lately, not too many crows either for that matter. Ravens are bigger, with heavier beaks, and have bristles around the beak, but of course, you can't tell bigger unless you see them side by side. . . so bbb works for me.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger,

There's a lot of contrast in that shot -- a black bird in the sunshine against a bright blue sky and light colored branches -- I'd say it's well done! More exposure to get the shadow details and you blow the branches, less to get the branches, and you've got a black bird-shaped blob.

I think it's a crow -- don't have much call to differentiate tho -- I don't think there are many ravens in my neck of the woods. . . and lately, not too many crows either for that matter. Ravens are bigger, with heavier beaks, and have bristles around the beak, but of course, you can't tell bigger unless you see them side by side. . . so bbb works for me.

Scott
Thanks Scott

They are hard for me to get a decent photo but they are a lot of fun to try and get a keeper.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:30 AM   #4

Roger, you never seem to disappoint me. Every time I open one of your threads, I expect you to show how beautiful nature really can be.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Roger, you never seem to disappoint me. Every time I open one of your threads, I expect you to show how beautiful nature really can be.

Nick
Nick thanks for such a nice comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 29, 2007, 1:24 PM   #6

Those are cool shots of the "big black bird". I like how sharp and clean the images are. Shots like this make me wish I didn't have so many honey-do's to get done this weekend so that I could grab my camera and go out and play too!

Billy
Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 2:36 PM   #7

roger,
not to throw a wrench in the works but it could also be a myna.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8

Billy M wrote:
Quote:
Those are cool shots of the "big black bird". I like how sharp and clean the images are. Shots like this make me wish I didn't have so many honey-do's to get done this weekend so that I could grab my camera and go out and play too!

Billy
Billy do double time on the honey-do's and that should give you some time to get out with your camera. Thanks for the fun comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:28 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
roger,
not to throw a wrench in the works but it could also be a myna.

roy
I looked them up on google and now I am in trouble they are a lot of different colors. How about a cooool looking bird ???

TOTALLY WACKY roger