Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:48 PM   #11

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
Great series, especially 1 - 3.

Just goes to show that you should always:

a) carry your camera everywhere you go; and
b) keep your eyes open.

Now, if only I could practise what I preach :-)
Could not agree more.
These photos sure made me smile.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:28 AM   #12

You stumbled over a photo op and really made something of it! Last one is simply wonderful. Thanks for posting!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:35 AM   #13

I love the last one. Full of energy and fun

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:19 AM   #14

Harriet

Great series. These would make a great slide show, nothing but instrruments thenthose last two frames!!! Well done.

Although this is not a scene that could be found here, you have pointed out something to me, I have to get out more WITH A CAMERA!!!

Give yourself a pat on the back from me (but watch the bad arm):-)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:41 AM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Thanks - you are right about carrying your camera wherever you go - I never know when I'm going to see something interesting. I'm just surprised no one has remarked on the last picture - is it too busy? Does the guy with the notebook instead of a horn get lost? I thought it was funny, reminded me of a certain old movie, but maybe the picture doesn't work as well as I thought.
The guy with the rolled up notebook doesn't leap out, but I think that's what makes the photo effective. It gives the comedy of the situation a little more subtle twist than if he had been more prominent.

It's a really nice series that shows just how many opportunities are there if we only notice them.

I've tried to discipline myself to always grabbing a camera when I head out the door. Even if I don't want to fool with setting a proper lens on the K10, I'll grab my s6000, even when I run to the convenience store. Living on a dirt road in the country, I simply never know what kind of critter I'll be dodging with my car, and I've gotten my only pictures of hawks this summer in exactly this manner.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:50 AM   #16

Very nice series and the guy without his instrument made me :-).

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:46 PM   #17

Thanks for letting me know what you thought of the last one - while I liked it, I was afraid that it might fall into the "almost" category if others didn't see it quite the way I had. Glad that it really does work.

Photography takes lots of practice - I try to spend at least part of my lunch hour every day (well, most days) out somewhere taking pictures. I'll try to take something ordinary and figure out how to make it interesting. Often I discover what doesn't work, but that goes a long way towards coming up with something interesting. In any case, it's always great fun to work something out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:41 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
... I try to spend at least part of my lunch hour every day (well, most days) out somewhere taking pictures.
I'm impressed! The number of times I think "Shall I take the camera?" and then don't. I really ought to know better. It was so much easier when I had a compact 2Mp Olympus but I still feel slightly self-conscious with the dSLR (albeit only sometimes). As an example I was working in Manchester for about 10 weeks and managed to take the camera 2 or 3 times. Pathetic or what?

So, as well as the "practice, practice, practice" mantra I must add "Don't forget to take the bl**dy camera with you!!!"

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:55 PM   #19

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
but I still feel slightly self-conscious with the dSLR (albeit only sometimes).
LOL! That's where girls have an advantage - they always carry purses, so it's natural for them to have some type of bag. And since I'm always wandering around areas where students with bookbags are common, I fit right in with the Slingshot camera bag - not that I particularly care one way or the other.

Just think of those outstanding pictures from the parking structure that you did take - and how many more you could have taken. That should convince you that the self-consciousness is a minor thing compared to the results you get!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:03 AM   #20

these pictures bring back memories thanks.
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote