Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:19 PM   #1

Hello All,

My K10 arrived Friday night, though Fed Ex couldn't figure out how to read an address label, so I had to go pick it up at the terminal at 8:00. Also had to work on house repairs over the weekend and other work-related items, so I didn't get "out" to play around with the camera. The only willing subjects I had were our dogs (wife refused), so I got a couple of "portrait" photos of them with the $15 50mm f2 I got on ebay (I also got the 18-55/50-200). These are just jpegs, made BW with the in-camera filter. A bit of noise, but it's pretty dark in our living ro-- er, I mean "studio." Anyway, here's a link (I'll figure out how to add photos on here soon):

http://naskedov.zenfolio.com/p1067008575/

Their names are Dutch, if you're wondering. As is my wife.
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:05 PM   #2

What lovely white, fluffy pups! That first shot looks very nice on my awful monitor at work - I can see the eyes are in focus very well. Looks like a very promising start to K10 ownership - what's your initial impression of the camera? Now I expect that in the next few months you'll go to some photogenic places around the Tucson/Southern/Southeastern Arizona area, like places a tourist/photographer would want to visit if they were there for a week right before Christmas...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:48 PM   #3

So far, I love it, but I'm itching to get out and really use it. Late work nights all week mean I've only really taken 50 pics or so of our living room, and not much else! I did take it out to the baseball field and got some action pics of my players working out that are kind of cool.

Anyway, I love the camera in my hands, just feels like a "serious" tool. I can't imagine I'd ever want more camera than this. I have this old Canon AE1 that my parents gave to me and for a bit I considered using IT to learn slr photography, but now I know I would have spenta million dollars in wasted film because at this stage I'm taking so many cruddy photos while playing with the aperture, shutter speeds and ISOs (and exposures). I think I really need to get a book like that "Understanding Exposure" or something so I have a better base understanding. But overall, I'm super excited, I can already tell a big difference from my Panny fz7. I kind of have a renewed interest in the Tucson and Arizona regions because I need to get out and USE this tool!

To answer your other Qs, yes, I'm hoping to get out the next couple of weeks and get some city shots (more cityscape than street stuff), especially with the sunrises/sunsets we have here. One nice thing about Tucson, it's ringed with mountains so you can go a few directions and get good panoramas. Plus, Saguaro National Park sitting on either side of the city gives hundreds of cactus shapes and possibilities for all kinds of photos without any "civilization" around. I would suggest to the tourist/photog, if they haven't been here before, that a visit to the Sonoran Desert Museum is excellent. It's not really a museum, it's a combination zoo/nature walk that has all kinds of cacti and animals from this area, including a hummingbird aviary with easy to photo nests and such. One of the true highlights of Tucson, and it's right next to Saguaro NP West (also Old Tucson Studios, which has been used for many Westerns, if you like shots of a dusty, Old West town...they do shows and the like as well). Onewarning, definitely my personal opinion. Ifyou wantphotos of the Old West, this is your best bet, even though it's a movie set. Tombstone is much advertised and romanticized, but really is a letdown. The streets areasphalt, not dust, the shops are mostly junk souvenir shopsor western wear retailers. Just doesn't have a historic feel. Even Boot Hill, the famous cemetary, has had it's tombstones redone in some kind of ugly, off-white color, painted wood.

Also, the Catalina Highway up to Mt. Lemmon (9,000 ft., an hour's drive) takes you through 4 or 5 distinct climate zones, with different vegetation and rock formations, great views of the Tucson "valley" and a pine forest at the top.

Sabino Canyon is a nice area as well, and just on the NE edge of the city. That time of year might very well have some running water in the canyon at places like 7 Falls. Some hiking is involved, but there are cheap tram rides to trail heads. Or, you dont' have to get off if you don't want.

Finally, you'd have to go to the Mission San Xavier del Bac. Oldest Spanish mission in the country, I believe. Even if it's not, it's spectacular. I don't know if it's still there, but last time I saw it there was scaffolding. Still lots of good shots to be had if you angle it right.

How far outside of Tucson would the trip go?

Geez, hope this isn't overkill. Or that I read your post right...you were looking for info right? I may have been too presumptious!

Todd
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:03 PM   #4

How far out? Two must-sees are the Copper Queen Mine tour (last time I was in the area it was still a working mine), the Titan Missile Museum (again, I knew where a couple of them were when they were manned for real - would be nice to see what one actually looked like inside). Thinking about the Pima Air Museum and Old Tucson. I understand there's a limestone cave out near Benson that sounded interesting (something discovered since I was last in the area). Don't know if we'd go out so far as to see Cochise's stronghold, though as I recall, it's a pretty area, too. I'll add the mission (thought about it before) up to must-do. Didn't think/forgot about Mt. Lemmon and I'll have to check into Sabino Canyon - that sounds like a cool place to go that I didn't know about (water falls are always nice to see). Wondered about the calvary museum at Ft. Huachuca and whether it would be worth the trip down.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Haven't been to the Mine Tour, the missle museum or Ft. Huachuca. The Caverns in Benson are easy to get to and are pretty extraordinary. They tout it as one of the best (THE best?) preserved in the world (unlike the amusement park that is Carlsbad Caverns). Only problem as a photographer is no cameras allowed. As a tourist, it's great. There's a very interesting story behind how the caverns were found and developed (they were kept a secret for 17 years). Check out the story if you can. We somehow ended up there on a day when one of the two men who found it was there, so we got a very unique tour guide.

There's an area of strange rocky mounds (hills?) between here and Willcox (East) that I think is called Texas Canyon. We've driven through it, but I don't know if it's accessible. I've always wanted to take some time and take pictures, but never have.

The air museum is pretty good, not too big, about the size of the one in Seattle (I'm from that area originally).

One other thing if you like the planes, and I think it mightmake interesting photos, is a military jet "graveyard" that you can take tours of. Fighters to huge bombers, some whole, some pieced out. Could get some unique shots here, I'm sure. Although I can't remember how much freedom one gets to move around the planes.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6

Thanks for all the information- that gives me some moreideas. I can't tell you how many times I've driven past the Davis-Monthan (is that how it's spelled?) outdoor aircraft storage facility and wanted to stop and look - not possible way back when I was last there. Don't hesitate to post any pictures of these (or other Tucson) locations - it's always interesting to see new places.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:28 PM   #7

Congratulations Todd! Glad to hear you've gotten your K10 and started playing with it. Don't worry about grading papers. Get out and enjoy it this weekend.

If you're like me, you've got a lot of learning to do with this camera. There's a lot to remember with it, but half the fun is learning the camera's capability. I've shot well over 20K shots with mine since I got it in May and enjoyed every minute.

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask. I can't imagine learning as much as I have without the friendly, helpful folks in this forum.

Loved your puppy shots. Mine have gotten so used to my camera that they now turn their face away when they see me grab it.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:22 AM   #8

congrats with you new camera,

really like the dog shots, especially with the lady dog looking timid and the the boy looking ... yeah uhm ... different.

"sometimes I've got problems expressing myself"

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:08 PM   #9

ThanksPaul, I'm sure I'll be a regular on here looking for help, as I already got a bunch from you folks before I even bought the camera. Really a friendly group of people. I know you're in Hot Springs, do you have cool photos of the National Park? My wife and I were married in Yosemite and decided at that time to try and see them all. We're up to 14 in two years. Occasionally she has to go to Memphis for her job and I've thought I could go with and we could shoot over to see the park for a day or two.

By the way, I'm sure you're familiar with this. I'm dying to go out this weekend and take a thousand shots with the K10, but I have a baseball tournament...some timing, huh?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the compliment Ronny!

By the way, you live in a beautiful city. I met my wife in Bergen op Zoom (she's from Roosendaal) and the first cities we went to were Antwerp, Brugge, and Ghent. Love the little bar next to the church in the main square that has all of the religious figurines in it. Although, last time I was there the construction on the highway was a nightmare!

Todd