Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:07 AM   #1

I have an HP Deskjet 5600 Printer that is, apparently, going south on me.

When I print an 8 x 10 photo, I get about 3 inches of properly printed colors the the rest of the print has a deep purplish cast to it.

So, I think it's time for a new one.

I'm not wanting to spend any more than about $250 on a good printer and I'd prefer one that is not an "all-in-one".

Suggestion re: what brand, model & etc would be appreciated.

Ed
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:13 AM   #2

I have had excellent service from my Canon IP5000. Fantastic photos...however I believe this model has been replaced..not sure of new model number. The best photo printers are Canon and Epson. Check this site for best models in your price range. Best of luck.
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:35 AM   #3
Administrator

Are you sure it's not the ink cartridges? BTW, you live in a nice city. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:51 AM   #4

Hey Jim, how are you.

Yes, this is a Beautiful City.

I've changed both of the cartridges, done both cartridge and color calibration and am getting the same result.

I guess I could go to the HP site and reload the drivers and see if that helps????

Probably be less hassle to just go ahead and get a new printer though.

Ed
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Administrator

Well... I'd probably try different software (both drivers and printing software) to see if it is software related. You may also want to unplug other USB devices in case one is causing a conflict. Sometimes virus protection or firewall software can cause USB issues, too. So, you may want to try disabling it if nothing else solves the problem and see if something you're using for malware protection may be causing an issue.

I'm personally fond of HP printers (even though their supplies are higher), since you get get new print heads when you replace the cartridges. lol I've had too many clogged nozzle problems with other brands in the past (although most are getting better about not having that problem as much anymore).

I'm also fond of HP's support for other platforms. I use both Linux and Windows, and HP provides good drivers and tools for both platforms. I can't say the same thing about other brands. So, I'm biased. lol

Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Administrator

Is it a Deskjet 5600 or a 5650? I found the drivers for a DeskJet 5650 on this page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=za&dlc=en

Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Administrator

If different software doesn't solve it, you may want to try it on a a different PC to narrow down the issue (it still may not be a bad printer if you've already replaced the cartridges and that didn't solve it). Something else could be causing it.

Or, just boot into a Linux Live CD with drivers for it and see if you can print photos OK from it (that would take Windows out of the equation entirely and let you see if the printer works OK or not). I have several sitting around with relatively current HP utlities and drivers on them. What side of town are you on? I'm in Largo Woods near Abercorn and Largo and would be glad to check it for you if you wanted to drop by. Just send me a PM and we could work something out.

Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:00 AM   #8

Jim, It's probably a 5650. My PP program is Photoshop Elements 5. I do have the original disk for the printer so I mayjust reload it.

I'm going to be in Hilton Head this evening so I won't get to try any driver downloads/updates until tomorrow or Sunday.

If I can't get it corrected, I'll drop you a PM and see what we can work out. I'm in the Georgetown area so we're not far apart.

Thanks,

Ed
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9

Well, printers are a suprisingly personal thing. Currently I have...

HP Photosmart 9180
Epson R2400
Epson PictureMate Snap
Small Kodak Dye-sub
Canon i9900

I like the PictureMate Snap, it is a fast nicely designed product. But, it only does 4x6 prints, but it prints fast and the quality is fantastic.

The Epson R2400 is capable of good output, but I find the printer hard to use. The various paper slots are not labeled and I have problems getting borderless prints to come out right. I usually end up with tiny white edges. I have had some minor clogging issues of which a heading cleaning clears it up. The printer wastes a considerable amount of ink. If this one was to break I would not buy another one and I would not recommend this printer.

The Kodak Dye-Sub is so so. I am not a big fan of Kodak's products I think they are at best at least these days low end consumer fare. The printer is slow and I have had to replace the ribbon twice because it has shredded. I don't find the prints to be awesome or anything but these are ok for a three color print. They are highly fade resistant and water proof. It is limited to 4x6. I would not recommend it.

The Canon is old and while it is fast and the prints are good. The life of the prints is rather poor in my opinion. They seem to fade or shift colors rather quickly.

Of all the printers I have my favorite and the only one I would buy again is the HP Photosmart. It is fast, easy to use, it has fairly large ink cartridges and I have found the prints to be very fade resistance and water proof. I like that it has an actual paper tray that protects the paper from dirt and it isn't top loading like the Epson or Canon so you don't have to keep it covered to keep dust out of it. You do have to leave the printer on 24/7 so that it can do maintainance on itself ever 24 hours, however this is quick, it doesn't use a lot of ink and so far I have not had any clogging issues. The various paper trays are also easy to figure out and use. I like it and I feel that of all of the printers this one produces the best prints with the most detail.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:38 PM   #10

Sure wouldn't mind something like the HP Designjet Z3100 Photo Printer . Oh, wait, you did say $250, not $4500, didn't you?

I can't really help at all - I tend to get whatever Costco has that's somewhere in the neighborhood of $100, and it's getting harder and harder to find separate printers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote