Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:48 PM   #11

K10:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:48 PM   #12

K100:
Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:50 PM   #13

K10:

As I said, I didn't think I proved anything other than the cameras are close when it comes to this picture.
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:55 PM   #14

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
If you're not using a tripod, the K10D also has noticeably improved image stabilization which may allow you to use a lower ISO than would be necessary on the K100D. I think that since the advantage of the K100D is that it can get cleaner shots at higher ISO, it's better at shooting people, animals and other moving things in lower light conditions since you can use faster shutter speeds. Otherwise I think the K10D is an overall better camera.
Corpsy, thank you for your valuable remarks : )Sincemy subjects are usually stationary,the improvedimage stabilization would be a bonus for me!After all, accordingto my observations depending on the pictures I downloaded, k100d hashardly more thanhalf a step advantage over k10d in terms of noise, which, I guess,could be compansated by the superiorSRperformanceyou poit out. Btw, I wonder if the extra weight of the k10d might be helping this, since thetest images shot by the k10din Ned'sbloglookneater even when the SR is off !!

.................................................. .............................................

@Jon: I applied Neat Image on some ISO 3200 shots by k100d which I downloaded, and it worked really well! As for the lens, I could not directly compare the MTF charts of the sigma 18- 50 and 17-70 on pentax body. Howeverwhen compared on a nikon bodty at Photo Zone, I could not see a discernable difference except the 17-70 offering a compelling 35 mm and an extra 70mm which is very decent! Please tell me if I'm missing a point : ) And thank you for your helpful thoughts!

.................................................. .................................................. .............
Quote:
I had the pleasure of using a co-workers K100D for a few hours after i had talked her into buying a Pentax DSLR. I use a K10D as my primary body and a istDL as a backup. Since I had thought about selling my istDL and buying a K100D to use as a backup body, she let me try out her new camera.

Although I don't have any side by side pictures to show you, my observations are as follows:

Picture wise the K100D takes cleaner pictures. 6MP vs 10MP on the same size sensor, it's a given that the K100D comes out on top here. There is no noticible difference between ISO 100-400 compared to ISO 200-400 on the K100D. You can start to see the difference at ISO 800.

I thought the colors initially were a little more vivid on the K10D. When looking at the RAW files, each camera picked a different color temperture in the same situation, so I think that is the reason why. Once I balanced the two color temps it still looked a tad better color wise with the K10D. Who knows though... a firmware upgrade for the K100D could make a difference.

Not that my shake reduction test is as scientific as the riding lawn mower test, I take a picture of the speaker holes on my television testing SR. Much better SR on the K10D. The K100D is pretty good though, and way better than nothing like my istDL.

Lenses seemed to focus faster on the K10D. I didn't time it, it just seemed like it focussed quicker.

I like the Li-Ion batteries in the K10D better than the AA's. I can take a 1,000 pictures on a single charge and don't have to worry about topping off a battery before I head out.

Wireless flash works with the K10D. I believe with the K100D you need two flashes to command the flash, like my istDL. Not sure on that... but I remember that being a big point when the K10D was announced.

So my overall decision was that a K100D was not what I was looking for in a backup camera. Decided to get another K10D when funds allow it.

I think the K10D is hands down a better camera than the K100D, but it's all on what you want. If you want something that works great, get the K100D. If you want something that works even better, get the K10D. You as the photographer is what counts the most!
@ ishino : Thank you soo much! That's almost a review I read above

I also saw The SR test on a lawn mower : )Very imaginative indeed!! It means one can shoot from the board of a ship when the sea is rough or even from the backseat of a motorcycle! Your SR test and final verdict is further encouraging me to go k10d

.................................................. ............................................
Quote:
The advice you have received already is spot on perfect. I just have a couple of minor items to add. Like you I like landscapes and have seen your work down in the landscape forum - its wonderful.
@ interested_observer: Thank you for the kind words! I shoul also say that I'mthankful for the great advice from the pentaxians Actually I handled both the k100d and k10d and thoughtit would be great to shoot with either of them for different reasons! For example when jumping from rock to rock at an archeological site I'd take the k100d and when shooting for landscape panos orsome volunteer modelI'd take the k10d: )Btw, what you call as small annoyances were really worth mentioning. Ah, what is human intellect for if it cannot turn disadvantages to advantages!

.................................................. .................................................. ....

@ Daniel:Depending on my observationsfromthe Architectural Photos forum where we met,your well composed, neat and vividpictures are really inspiring for those who take pains shooting indoorsdue to restrictions for using a tripod!

Btw, thank you for your noticeconcerning the sample difference due to QC issue, whichI've already been warned about. Now, as soon as I learnabout the availability of the Sigma lensI ask the dealer about their return policy! Whileadmitting the QCissuethey also point out that after about the sixth party the bad samples are noticably fewer now.

.................................................. .................................

@mtngal: Thank you for your trouble! You did a great job posting these comparative shots

I see that WB works great on k10d as well as the SR!!Regarding the tree shots I first thought the difference was a matter of over exposure since both cameras were set to the same exposure while k100d required less exposure time. Then I opened the picture by the k10d at photoshop to increase the light. Although the colours faded noticably, I found the colour renditionbetter as you can see below.

As for the Red Rock shots, thoughI could detect no discernable detail diffrence, Ifound the colour rendition by the k10d somewhat more successful which is more important to me.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:10 PM   #15

Just one thing more - I've always prefered the AWB on the K10 to the K100. The K10 does allow the photographer to have far more influence over the picture - I've got tennis elbow so have been using only the K100 for the past few weeks. I forgot how much fun the K10 can be, and how nice it is to have so many more controls available quickly.

By the way, I was using the DA*50-135 f2.8lens to take the Red Rock pictures, and I was probably about a half mile (maybe a bit less) away from the building.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:51 PM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just one thing more - I've always prefered the AWB on the K10 to the K100. The K10 does allow the photographer to have far more influence over the picture - I've got tennis elbow so have been using only the K100 for the past few weeks. I forgot how much fun the K10 can be, and how nice it is to have so many more controls available quickly.

By the way, I was using the DA*50-135 f2.8lens to take the Red Rock pictures, and I was probably about a half mile (maybe a bit less) away from the building.
Thank you for the additional remarks On the verge ofmeeting my great longing,you can appreciate the extent of my thirst for any furtherinformation, advice and suggestions :-)

Oh,btw, I thoughtthe extra200gr wouldn't make much difference.Anyway, hope you get well soon!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote