Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2007, 2:39 AM   #1

both taken with ist DL2 and kit lens, tripod polarizer and ND grad. Shot in RAW, developed in Lightroom, joined in Autopano, removed dust and some buoys in first photo, cropped and adjusted levels on second.
on the firs one I was standing below the edge of the cliff (it wasn't very steep above me but it was almost vertical below me), a bit silly but I didn't think about that. Another proof to me that a guy with a tripod will go anywhere without thinking what could happen (seen another one doing the same thing but in different place). Anyway please tell me what you think and some more will follow later.

greg

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2

Greg, I'll keep my post simple and to the point:

These are gorgeous!

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 6:59 PM   #3

Hi greg,

Really liked the shots, and forgive me, but I just started playing with PSPP X2, noticed the new HDR blending mode, and thought your shots would be good candidates to try some tone mapping.

I took the posted shots, adjusted levels to +1 Ev, saved as xxxL, then undid (is that a word?) these levels, readjusted the levels to -1Ev, saved as xxxD, then opened the two altered versions and the original in the HDR module, adjusted levels and the clarify control to where it looked good to my eye, then saved as xxxHDR.

Here's how they came out. . .

If you object, please say so, but I really wanted to try this, and your shots were much more suitable than most of mine. so just say the word and I'll take them down (but I thought they came out pretty good!)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:37 PM   #4

greg,
i was going to say that a little levels adj. would make these great shots just a little bit greater but scott beat me to it.. these are really nice and i wish i'd been with you..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:17 AM   #5

Scott: they look even better now. I tried doing some HDR images before but couldn't get it right. and I never use PSP before. trying this in Photoshop never worked as well, but I may try again to make the originals look like your work. Thanks

greg
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:47 PM   #6

Very nice shots Greg. Remind me again where your holiday was, these look like North Africa maybe?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:23 PM   #7

Wonderful pictures - looks like a wonderful place to visit. Now you aren't saying that a photographer would pay more attention to the scene than where they were putting their feet, are you?As someone who got scolded by a begging squirrel I almost stepped on because I was looking up at leaves in the trees, I can relate.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:19 AM   #8

Well done, beautiful scenery very well captured and manipulated.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:05 AM   #9

thanks for comments everyone.

Tim: Canary Islands, just west on north africa. This particular one was Lanzarote, only volcanoes and desert. Native animals: rabbit and vulture, native plants: palm trees and cactus.

mtngal: exactly what I mean

greg