Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:41 AM   #1

Hey guys, I have just set up a trade deal for my FA50/1.4. I'm not trading it because I don't like it, but because I thought the trade was too good to say "no".

I was offereda LNIB Tamron XR Di 28-75 f/2.8 for my FA50 f/1.4. I figured the worse that could happen is that I hate the lens, I can resell it for $300+ on eBay and buy another 50/1.4 + have cash left over.

Would you have taken the trade, or did I make a mistake? I really wanteda walk-around lens for indoor shots, I found that the 50mm (75mm efl)was often too long for cramped family get togethers.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:01 AM   #2

The Tamron 28-75 is a great lens! That's one awesome deal on your end! I think you are gonna love that new lens.

If you think later down the road you want another prime around the ~50mm range, I'd suggest considering the 43mm Limited. Since I bought the 43mm, my FA 50 hasn't seen light outside my camera bag. It's a little shorter than the 50mm which works great for my indoor shots.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:12 AM   #3

Nick

Sounds like a win-win situation if the Tamron sells for more than the 50mm. A 28-70/75/80mm f2.8 lens is the most popular lens for a lot of PJ work (such as wedding ceremonies), along with a 70-210mm range f2.8 it made up the backboneof many pros' film kits. Pentax has recognized that with the DA* series by bringing out the APS equivalent with the 16-50mm and 50-135mm f2.8s .

The 50mm is considered by many to be an "art" lens these days since high ISO performance has allowed the f2.8 lenses to dominate, and high end zooms are now sharp enough to challenge prime lenses. A 28-75mm will give much more breathing room for indoor shooting and the 75 will give more reach when needed. My usual walk around lens is a SIgma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 zoom, is offers decent speed at the wide end for low light indoor stuff while maintaining a reasonable aperture at the long end for outdoor work. Not as nice as the constant aperture Tamron you have.

You did good!

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:40 AM   #4

Thanks guys! That's exactly what I wanted to hear... Now I can't wait to get this baby in the mail!

Nick
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5

Excellent trade! It is my lens of choice for my Pentax over all other lenses I have.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:04 PM   #6

...and to top it all off. I was able to pick up a SMC-F 50mm f/1.7 for $100 (including shipping) to replace my lost lens. This is great!

Nick
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:10 PM   #7

And here I was thinking, well maybe Nick won't like that lens and I could trade him back an FA 1.4 for that Tamron 28-75!

Good to see you've scored another excellent deal from that other forum. I scored me a Zenitar there this morning. I've always wanted one to play with.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:19 PM   #8

Ishino, I seeyou have been watching me, lol.Congrats on the Zenitar... that's one I, too, have wanted for a while. If I don't like the Tamron, I will sell it and likely pick up either a fisheye or AF135/2.8. There are a lot of great deals on that site which may not be named!

Nick