Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1

I hope this isn't advertising for another site but I finally want to try a photo sharing site so that my posts would be clearer & without compression & also multi-shot posts. So, I just signed up with zenfolio after Harriet's post of her site & thought I would try posting some from afew weeks ago.

Hopefully this works!

our new arrival...RJ(named for my dad)...born 9/21, 2 months after my Dad's passing.

naptime

Well...so far so good! Thanks Harriet! As soon as I upgrade to the pro version, I'll show off my gallery but until then.....

C&C welcome as always!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:55 AM   #2

Nice series of pictures, and RJ is absolutely precious!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:04 PM   #3

Loved the DOF of the first one!

Dawg

In honor of Zenfolio I give you -- Zen Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:12 PM   #4

Firstly, Dawg, those Rotty images are getting freakier and freakier.

The images look great, the Llama (?) is adorable, but I can't stop looking at the 2nd image there. What an absolutely wild choice of DOF, is that the actual bokeh or did you work the background. It's really impressive.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Dawg, I'll take a freaky dawg over no-dawg...anyday!

CC...thanks for the comments. You really give me too much credit...the only work on #2 was a little cropping to the shot to make itan actual subject. As it was, there were about a dozen other blooms so I had to narrow it down. I just got lucky with the position (kneeling in a ditch along my work route) & set the fstop (5.6)down as far as it would go to give it the right depth & still see the soybeans. As far as playing with the b/g, uh...no...I have a buddy come to my house to give me lessons on pse3. So I'm still learning!

But, I guess that I'm pleased with them considering I'm still using a ist-dl & these were taken with the kit lens.OH by the way, yes, RJ is a llama.

Thanks again, Harriet! I almost spent $150 on smugmug until posted your zenfolio gallery. I'm just so happy to FINALLy be posting shots w/o compression! I just hope that my gallery will turn out as good as yours!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:07 AM   #6

Wow! I hadn't looked at smugmug so I didn't know they were that expensive. I think I read that smugmug was a good site to use if you were selling your photos (that's what I had running around in my head but since I'm not interested in such things I might have that wrong). In any case, I didn't check that siteout at all.

I actually looked at 3 different sites - pbase, zenfolioand one called phanfare thata friendon another (non-photography) board uses.

Pbase did some things better than the other two, but overall I found it cumbersome,and couldn't figure out how to have it not strip out the exif file from the picture file (it seemed like they put it in a text file connected to the gallery - I'm sure it uses less space. There could be some setting I didn't find when I was trying it out).

If I were just doing vacation/travel albums I would have chosen phanfare as they have really cool slide shows and was the easiest to use. It allows you to limit the access to your pictures (private, public but don't allow downloading or linking, or unlimited).

Zenfolio was the only one that seemed to leave the exif info in the picture file (at least as their default setting), their slide show is nice and is more versatile for the user (the viewer can choose to see the captions or not), it's almost as easy as phanfare and was less expensive than the other two (which are essentially the same cost for what I would be doing, I think).

I've also used a number of the free photo hosting sites, but they all seem to have their limitations, and I thought it was time to check out something better. I'm sure that there are other good photo hosting sites out there - I didn't do an exhaustive search, especially since any of the three I looked at would have been worked.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:41 AM   #7

Lovely series, No. 1 is a standout.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote