Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:44 AM   #1

In the Industrial revolution this canal carried transpennine commercial traffic between Yorkshire and the port of Liverpool. It's very much a part of the industrial heritage of the north of England.
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:51 AM   #2

One of the many bridges crossing the canal, this one only takes pedestrians.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:55 AM   #3

Here's a narrow boat that used to carry commercial traffic, in recent years these are fitted out and used as pleasure craft, and access most of the canal network of the UK.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:08 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I really like the warm Autumn tones captured in your pictures! I recently saw a documentary on TV (in the US) on the canals around London and life on Long Boats today (everything from folks who live on them as well as those available for recreation). It would be nice to visit and experience them first hand!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:21 AM   #5

I love the warmth of these Jack!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:35 AM   #6

I beleive you can rent canal boats for holidays in England. Not just to live on them tethered to docks...but tour the countryside that the canals go through in the canal boats.

Thos pictures are lovely and certainly evoke a desire to rent one of those canal boats for a holiday.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:15 AM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I really like the warm Autumn tones captured in your pictures!* I recently saw a documentary on TV (in the US) on the canals around London and life on Long Boats today (everything from folks who live on them as well as those available for recreation).* It would be nice to visit and experience them first hand!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jay
Hi Jay,
According to google there are 3000 miles + of navigable canals in the UK,and at the speed these boats travel ( there are restrictions in force ), it would take several years to cover them all in your leisure time. I was pleased at the way the autumnal tones came out too, Thanks for looking and comments ... Jack.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:22 AM   #8

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I love the warmth of these Jack!

Dawg
Hello Ed,
Glad to see you're still with us, and for your comments, I like the way the autumn tones come over, perhaps a little more pronounced than real life, or perhaps I didn't notice. I should have added that I was trying out a recently acquired Pentax SMC-A 50mm f1.7, and I'm very pleased with that. ... Jack
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:33 AM   #9

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I beleive you can rent canal boats for holidays in England. Not just to live on them tethered to docks...but tour the countryside that the canals go through in the canal boats.

*Thos pictures are lovely and certainly evoke a desire to rent one of those canal boats for a holiday.
Hi Lesmore,
Yes it's very true,it's a thriving industry ... you can hire narrow boats, to tour our canals, and it's a very leisurely way to travel, no stress at all. As I replied to Jay, there's a very well spread network to visit. Hope you make it some day, and thanks for viewing and commenting
Here's a good link http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/I...f-England.html