Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:12 PM   #1

Dear Pentaxians,

Thanks to your kind support and feedback I finally took the plunge and got the k10d withthe sigma 17-70! Updated to firmware to 1.30 which was a breeze, and took some shots indoors and outdoors, some of which are richly qualified forsendyour boring pics. :G Btw, I must say the lens gives a good corner to corner sharpness and the AF worked great even underworst indoor and outdoor conditions! The body is sooo handsome!! You can even hold it with one hand very securely

Anyway, observing the lastpictures shot @ISO 800withan exposure time of 1/4, I observed that when SR was off my pics. usually-if not always- turned out even sharper !!

Itwas only whenI shot @ a longer exposure time of 1'' did I start to see the adventage of the SR:?

I wonder if there's something wrong with my new toy, ordoes it signal to stable hands ( I could shoot decent pictures @ 1/8'' with my powershot S70) !!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:16 PM   #2

1) SR off @ Iso 800 ;Tv: 1/4'' ; 70mm(105mm equivalent)
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:18 PM   #3

2) SR on @Iso 800; Tv: 1/4''
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:19 PM   #4

3) SR off @ Iso:800 ; TV: 1''
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:20 PM   #5

4) SR on @Iso:800; Tv:1''
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:34 PM   #6

Bahadir!

I won't comment on the SR (I haven't got a K10D) but one thing is sure: You've got a very steady hand!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 5:53 PM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir!

I won't comment on the SR (I haven't got a K10D) but one thing is sure: You've got a very steady hand!

Kjell
Dear mate, thank you foryour prompt reply : )

As someone who consumes at least ten to fifteencups of tea everyday, and suffice with 6 hour's sleep, not bad actually:lol:

Still I'm not very sure if that could be the reason of the results I acquired :?
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:21 PM   #8

All I can say is that I'm really impressed that you can take a picture at 1 sec and have it look so good - I can't do that with or without SR on.

Your results are interesting - the owners manual suggests that you don't use the SR with a tripod, I wonder if you are so steady that the SR compensates for something that isn't there? Personally, I haven't seen any particular difference between my tripod mounted shots with or wtihout SR, but I rarely take night shots). Or perhaps you moved a bit more on the SR one, just enough to go beyond it's ability to correct (it helps me quite a bit, but it isn't perfect under all conditions). In any case, the one at 1/4 sec. is only slightly worse than the non-SR one (or is the full sized version more noticable?), making it look only a little softer than the first one. It's definitely interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:09 AM   #9

Could the moving cars be confusing the SR system.

I'd suggest you try the test again with no moving objects and see if that improves anything.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:31 AM   #10

Maybe I am missing something, but from the images and labeling, SR is functioning exactly as I would expect it to perform. On the 1 second frame with SR off it's a bit blurred and with it on, it is much better. How bahadir is holding the body steady for a quarter of a second and a second is beyond my mere mortal abilities. We have to get his secret and it just can't be tea. My wife drinks ice tea by the gallon and her hands are very unsteady - especially with her little kodak that she loves.

There is no way that object's motion can have any effect on the SR sensors, so everything is based on bahadir's exceptional skills of holding the body still!!!!!!

There is another expirement that he can perform. Rather than based on low light, use the longest lens available and focus on the smallest item possible - say for instance a 200mm lens and use a box with some small printing on it, setting across the room. That will setup a situation, essentially a momentum arm - where by the distance between the camera and the object (printing on the box) versus the width or height of the printing) is such a large ratio, that any small movement of the body would be amplified (ie blurred) and recorded. Plus you can have good control of the lighting of the object.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote