Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1

I missed my first opportunity to get this lens off ebay. A random late-night check on ebay showed the lens relisted; apparently the seller had a bad experience with the buyer (0 feedback, probably a scammer). I held my breath (and my wallet) and purchased the lens immediately after seeing it.

Just got it on Friday, and battled sickness to take some surfer shots at Pismo today. 400mm is just barely far enough to let me photograph from the beach, rather than my usual pier spot. Shooting from the beach definitely is different than shooting higher up on the pier, but lens MUCH more dynamic images.

First impression of this lens: it's a bit soft at f/8. I'm probably doing something wrong, so I'll try again tomorrow. Here's a couple from my first endeavour:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:31 PM   #2

Nice for first shots. I'm sure you will get used to it and capture some great shots.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 1:32 AM   #3

Went for a second attempt with the lens today. Lucky for me, there was a surf competition going on, so I had lots of opportunities for shots.

Again, my shots were somewhat soft at various apertures. Perhaps I had SR turned on? The lens has no fungus that i can see, and the blades look oil-free. Think I'll have to try photographing a stationary object next.

Anyway, here's a few from today's competition:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:23 AM   #4

jason,
i don't think the lens is soft. the last shot shows that. there's no exif so we don't know the speed you took these at but i'd say the problem is motion blur. are you hand holding?? any thing over 300mm is very hard to use even on a tripod. action with a 400mm is going to be really tough no matter what the technique used.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

It would seem to be more shake than lens fault.

400mm is like a 600mm on a film camera, so unless you are hitting shutter speeds above 1/750 then you may struggle for a sharp shot.

Maybe an ISO boost is needed.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote