Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:36 PM   #1

Does anyone have one of these new lenses? See sample shots from it? How does it compare to the 50-200?

Also, where are the weather sealed lenses?

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:07 PM   #2

The lens was just announced in the past week or so. Pentax's lens roadmap shows the lens is slated for a late October release. The lens isn't even listed on B&H's site yet. I highly doubt anyone here would have a copy of this lens so early in October, unless they have a pre-production review model (mtngal maybe?).

If Pentax can hold to their roadmap (hah!), then we'll probably be seeing the first signs of this lens around the 20th or so.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:20 PM   #3

Thanks.

I am hoping it will be as good as the 50-200. I would like to be able to leave my 18-55 at home and the little xtra at the zoom end would be nice too.

It's beginning to look like weather sealing with more of a bait and switch thing than a feature we are really going to get full use out of. Shame.

Robert
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

I wish I could get pre-production models! I was lucky with the DA*50-135 in that I got one of the first ones to appear in the US. I will start keeping my eye on my local camera store - they bring in reps from the various camera companies every so often (maybe once a quarter or so, I think). I'll keep my eye out for the Pentax rep - maybe he'll have one with him. This isn't a lens that I'd be much interested in buying, at least until I plan a several week trip to Europe, Hawaii, New Zealand or somewhere else where I want to travel light. Then I'll think about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5

From all that i have read about it, it is just a re badged Tamron, so if you know anyone that has the Tamron 18-250, it will more than likely be about the same, but maybe with the Pentax SMC coatings
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:00 PM   #6

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
It's beginning to look like weather sealing with more of a bait and switch thing than a feature we are really going to get full use out of. Shame.
What do you mean? Pentax recently released 2 lenses offering weather sealing to complete the weather sealing package offered by the K10D, with more lenses to come. Doesn't sound like a bait and switch feature to me.

For your reference, these are the two weather-sealed lenses:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_ED.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_ED.html

Also, take a look at the Pentax lens roadmap. DA* lenses listed will most likely offer weather-sealing as well:
http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/lens/roadmap.pdf

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:02 AM   #7

Sorry after almost a year since Pentax put out the K10D with weather sealing and we only have 2 lenses that are also weather sealed. I just can't seem to get too impressed. In fact it seems rather pathetic. Not bate and switch, but certainly a joke.

Robert