Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Hey Gang,

Had the K10 for three weeks now, went out yesterday around Tucson for a few shots. Just JPEGs, no PP done. C & C welcome!

First, two pics ofa fence near the stable where my wife keeps her horse (mule)...this one with fence more in focus:

This one with flowers more in focus:

Two from the Mission San Xavier del Bac:

Note: Mtn Gal, the mission is still half-covered in scaffolding, this is at least two years now. So it's still nice to visit, but you can't see all of it. Reminds me of Europe, so much scaffolding!

Todd
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

nice shots todd.. i've got friends and family in tucson. my mother just bought a place there also. you are very lucky to have all the scenics there. is mt. lemmon green yet???

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:10 PM   #3

Hi Roy,

Mt. Lemmon is pretty green, we had a fairly solid monsoon season, I think. Although, I haven't seen any rainfall numbers. Finally starting to get cool nights, so it kinda sorta feels like fall.

Todd
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:50 PM   #4

i took the drive up last year about this time. went thru one he!! of a monsoon coming down. water POURING out of anyplace it could.. sorry about the size guys but......
here a pano i took.

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 5:18 PM   #5

Hi Todd

Great Shots with the new K10D

Tucson Is a beautiful City. We have visited several times, as my MIL leaves in PHX.
We visited Quite a few places While there. But our favorites were Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Old Tucson. I remember Visiting a Seismic monitoring station someplace, but i have no idea where, This was many years ago so it could have been Anywhere.

Keep those shots Coming

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:03 PM   #6

I love Tucson. My first vist there was in 1936. I had contracted tuberculosis, and that was the place to go then for the desert cures. Must have worked. I'm still kickin, althogh the scars remain on my lungs today. However, my lungs may be the heathiest parts I have. Most everything else just plugs alkong, keeping me upright.

When I was 60 years old I started playing a cornet. Still do, and I attribute my good lungs to the work I give them every day. Irritates my wife a bit, but she still hangs around. Seriously, couldn't do without her.

Yes, that desert museum is outstanding. Worth the trip to Tucson to see it.

Last time we were there our children played in the snow on Mt. Lemon in the morning, then swam outside in the afternoon at the Double Tree Inn.

As I said, Great Place.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:25 PM   #7

The mission just went from "I want to go" to "must visit" - these two pictures are wonderful. Thanks very much for posting them.

I'm not a fan of things being out of focus in the foreground - I want to chop down that plant in the first picturein the worst sort of way. Your second one handles it much better. I do like the texture of the fence in the first one, though (maybe that's what makes me want to get out my scissors so badly). In any case, it sure looks like you are getting quite comfortable with your K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments. So I'd need to stop down the lens to get both the fence and flowers in focus together, while still being able to blur the background, right? I go by thefence every day at sundown this week, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to mess with it. I'll purposely withold pictures of the Mission as a whole, to a) not spoil anything for you, and b) not disappoint youwith the scaffolding!

Todd
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:47 PM   #9

There's several factors that come into play when you are talking about depth of field - the aperture, the focal length of the lens you are using and the distance you are from your subject(s)along withtheir relationship to the background. You are right that as you stop down the lens (choose a smaller aperture) your depth of field becomes larger. If you use a wider angle lens then your depth of field will increase, too - the DOF of a really wide angle lens at a particular aperturemight be measured in feet, where a 300mm lens would have a much smaller DOF at the same aperture. Finally, if you are close to your two subjects, and the background is far away from them, you'd be able to blur the background. However, the further your subject is away from you and the closer it is to the background you want to blur, the harder it will be.

The neat thing about digital photography is that you can take your camera out to your fence and snap away as much as you want without spending a dime on developing film. So have fun experimenting withthese three factors and see which combination of aperture, focal length and distance will give you the DOF you want for that particular picture.

P.S. - I'm no expert when it comes to this, so please anyone chime in if they see where I've either gotten something confused (I get confused easily) or if they can explain things better than I can (my understanding of all of this is a fairly simple one - there's actually physics and mathmatics behind it all and you can compute what your DOF would be - but that's way beyond where I want to go. I do OK by understanding the basic principles and playing with it all so I can get a general idea of how to get what I want).

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:23 PM   #10
TDN

Nice, I like the candle shot a lot!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote