Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:26 AM   #1

I just discovered the Select focus option in my K100D's menu. After playing around with it, I noticed it defaults to the center before you choose a different AF point. Is there an advantage of using Center-point AF versus Select AF?

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:37 AM   #2

It's just easier for me to use the center point. I focus lock on my subject and then compose my shot the way I want it and shoot. I would use the center point, no matter how many focus points a camera offered.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:58 AM   #3

I tend to use the center focus most of the time, but will change if I start finding myself forgetting to re-compose too much. Then I'll often select something else as a way of forcing myself to look elsewhere in the frame. The only problem I occasionally have is that I mostly use either center weighted or spot metering most of the time, and for some reason I've been reluctant to lock the exposure with the focus (I really should try it that way). That means if you don't remember to also lock exposure before you recompose, you can end up with over/under exposed shots (camera not metering on your subject).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I just discovered the Select focus option in my K100D's menu. After playing around with it, I noticed it defaults to the center before you choose a different AF point. Is there an advantage of using Center-point AF versus Select AF?

- Jason
I use this mode all of the time, the only drawback is that I sometimes accidentally shift the point and don't notice it right away.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:20 PM   #5
PDL

On my *ist Ds - I found out the hard way that auto select on focus would give you bogus/interesting results. During my son's graduation from High School - I had it set on auto everything. I had not figured out how to use my 300mm in manual mode (mid 70's Vivitar TX-K mount) so I was using my Tokina 28-70mm at 70mm since we were quite far away up in the stands.

As the ceremony went along, I was taking images of "the boy" walking away from the ceremony and the sequence of shots has him in focus, then the back of the head of the guy sitting in front of me, then "the boy", then the back of the head - quite frustrating. I particularly disliked the default coupling of focus to the depression of the shutter button. Focus every shot - differently - and hope the system will pick the point you want - a colossal waste of time and effort from my point of view.

Several months later during a photographic workshop, the instructor said that he, and most other pros he worked with, set AF to be just like the old days. Dead center in the frame (split image prisms on my old manual SLR's) and de-couple the AF from the shutter button - therefore you (the 5 lbs protein based computer behind and above the viewfinder) pick what is in focus. I figured out how to do just that on the *ist Ds ( should work on the K10xd too) and the OK button became my AF button. Works like a charm - never looked back, although I did have to train myself to pick the focus, set the exposure and compose. Sound's like the 70's all over again - also works like a charm with the rule of thirds focus screen installed.

When I bought my K10D - with a dedicated AF button - the first thing i did was de-couple the AF from the shutter button and set the focus point to the center. From the design of the K10D - these two critical elements are basic functions on the rear of the camera - gee - maybe they did listen.

PDL -- take control - think - it will do you good.
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:37 AM   #6

my habit since 35mm film cameras with manual focus

center focus

was always told to keep that habit as it slows you down to recompose

Quote: most mistakes are made when rushing
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote