Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:14 AM   #1

I'm sure this was covered but I ran a search and could not find it. Is there any difference at all in these two cameras? I've looked at several spec sheets and everyone I found said something different about each camera.

Your time to educate me on this would be appreciated.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:02 AM   #2

From what I've read here, there's not much difference. Some here have said they prefer the look of theSamsung menus better than the Pentax, and that Samsung is slower to offer firmware upgrades. From the pictures posted here, both cameras have the same image quality - you won't go wrong with either one of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:36 AM   #3

Does the GX10 have a remote shutter release? On Samsung or any of the spects I have read it does not say anything about one.

DonR
Old Oct 9, 2007, 4:20 PM   #4

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
Does the GX10 have a remote shutter release? On Samsung or any of the spects I have read it does not say anything about one.

DonR
Yep, it's the Pentax Remote Control F. Works fine with my GX-10.

As Harriet has said there really isn't much difference.

The bodies are very slightly different, which is why the battery grips are not interchangeable. Other than that the menus have a different lokk and feel, and the various buttons are different.

Also, Samsung are slower than Pentax in releasing new firmware. Probably only an issue if you are a pro, in which case you would buy the Pentax anyway. I also suspect that the Samsung tech support will be inferior.

As far as lens and flashguns are concerned they are interchangeable. However, I would expect Pentax owners will buy Pentax. I bought the Samsung SEF- 36PZF flash which appears to be identical to the Pentax AF-360 in just about every respect.

The other main difference is (or was) price. When I bought the GX-10 it was appreciably cheaper than the K10D. Since then the K10D and Pentax accessories have come down in price (at least they have here i the UK) so the choice isn't quite as clear cut. The final difference is the potential resale value when you upgrade to the 1gigapixel dSLR in a year or so. The consensus is that the Pentax will be worth more. Not an issue for me as I always keep my old cameras (at least for the last 30+ years).

Hope that helps.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:35 PM   #5

Thanks Keith, I'll be looking for a used one when the new version comes out and it just gives me more places to look. It's terrible being poor but I am going to try to keep my V-LUX 1 cause I think I would miss it to much. Is there any place to look for good used ones besides e-bay?

DonR
Old Oct 9, 2007, 6:03 PM   #6

Also, I think that the Samsung supports .DNG RAW format and the Pentax supportsboth .DNG and .PEF. Not really sure if that matters much (or if it's even true).
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 4:20 AM   #7

Eddie OM35 wrote:
Quote:
Also, I think that the Samsung supports .DNG RAW format and the Pentax supportsboth .DNG and .PEF. Not really sure if that matters much (or if it's even true).
OOPS! I forgot that. Yes it's true. The .DNG files are around 16 - 17 Mb , not sure what the .PEF size is but, from a quick scan of various forums, they seem to vary between 10 & 15Mb (lossless compression).

So other than needing more memory for the same umber of .DNGs there is no other real difference. Except, maybe, some older RAW software might not recognise the .PEF format.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote