Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:13 PM   #1

I justcould not wait any longer to come up with anotherissue as a result of mywinding learning curve:-)

I tried both CS3 and PPL (pentax photo laboratory)toexploitthe raw merits of the k10d! As theshooting at the right exposure is not an issue with this camera I did not bother with playing with the settings and just converted the images at the default settings! As a result, I loved the superbcoloursby the PPL and the subtle detailsby the CS3.Iwish I couldhave them both in one :-)

Below you'll see very heavycroppingsof 100%

1) Pentax Photo Laboratory

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:15 PM   #2

2) CS3
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:23 PM   #3

I always preferred the images that PPL produced but found it to be a right pain in the A** to actually use!!

Now I use Lightroom which is an absolute breeze to quickly sort and edit large amounts of photos.

It's a shame, because PPL actually produces really nice images but it's interface really lets it down.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:36 PM   #4

Guys

If you like PPL. You might want to try Silkypix. It's my understanding that the newest PPL Is Based on the silkpix engine. I really like the Silkypix interface.

Since i own a DS & k100d, i still use my old reliable Raw Shooter.

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:04 PM   #5

From what I understand, CS3's raw converter pretty much works the same way as Lightroom (which is what I use, along with CS2). I've used bothPPL and LRand have gotten good results from both, though I prefer Lightroom because it has some additional tools (the cropping and straightening tools) that I like better than what's available in either CS2 alone or PPL. Besides, I'm just so used to Photoshop, that I'm more comfortable with it. CS3 would ultimately give you more control over your post production work than PPL, and when my computer dies I'll gladly buy it (but not yet).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:10 AM   #6

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
I always preferred the images that PPL produced but found it to be a right pain in the A** to actually use!!

Now I use Lightroom which is an absolute breeze to quickly sort and edit large amounts of photos.

It's a shame, because PPL actually produces really nice images but it's interface really lets it down.

Thank you forletting me know aboutyour experience. As you see in my experience regaearding PPL vs. CS3, the PPL output look punchierbut!! at the cost of minute details... Of course I may attain a similar look at the PS. However,that will require some extra labour! Reading also the comments below I'm already inclined to use the Light Room, whose name alone is so promising : )

.................................................. ..........................................

Black Knight wrote:

Quote:
Guys

If you like PPL. You might want to try Silkypix. It's my understanding that the newest PPL Is Based on the silkpix engine. I really like the Silkypix interface.

Since i own a DS & k100d, i still use my old reliable Raw Shooter.
I think the PPLI've been using is the bundled basic free version of Silkypix. whose comparison with ACR I found to be interesting:

http://www.danielsroka.com/article_silkypix_acr.php

Btw, I also googled for the Raw Shooter. The ratings are very positive and the price, a bargain, of course for the Essential. I think there's also the Premium version.

Thank you!

.................................................. .................................................. .....

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
From what I understand, CS3's raw converter pretty much works the same way as Lightroom (which is what I use, along with CS2). I've used bothPPL and LRand have gotten good results from both, though I prefer Lightroom because it has some additional tools (the cropping and straightening tools) that I like better than what's available in either CS2 alone or PPL. Besides, I'm just so used to Photoshop, that I'm more comfortable with it. CS3 would ultimately give you more control over your post production work than PPL, and when my computer dies I'll gladly buy it (but not yet).
Actually, the great scope CS3 or any otherPhotoshop version offers cannot be compared with that of the modest PPL !!It was thequickbut noticably punchieroutput from PPL which really impressed me. Hovewer, as I said above,the PPLalso tend to give a water colour effect to the minute detailsI even turned off the noise reduction in the camera as well as in the program... Nothing changes!! I'd like to know (I'm dyingto learn:G)what custom settings I need at CS3 tocompare well to the PPL output. I've seen that basic saturation, brightness etc adjustments alone is not enough:?

Btw, when your computer dies, alternatively, you mayPM to me; )

.................................................. ...............

Below are again two very heavy crops from a boring pic. I shot aboutsunset:

1) CS3

Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:28 AM   #7

2) PPL
Attached Images

Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:17 AM   #8

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
I tried both CS3 and PPL (pentax photo laboratory)toexploitthe raw merits of the k10d! ....loved the superbcoloursby the PPL and the subtle detailsby the CS3.
I think PPL has just been a bit more drastic, and slightly overdone it.

By using default settings for 'enhance photo>colour balance', '>contrast enhancement','>saturation enhancement',in my antique Paint Shop Pro v7.04, and modifying your CS3 version slightly, I divine that PPL has...

...altered the the colour balance (the white roof has gone a bit yellowish);

..twiddled 'curves & levels'tone mapping (losing highlight detail on the white roof,for example);

...and saturation (all the colours are more intense).

So I'm sure minor amendments to those three in CS3 would produce results to your taste.

Albeit on a less professional plane, and usually in-camera, I have been through a similar process in moving through my sequence of four front-line digicams in five years.I have perceived progressively less saturation in the default settings, although all have been reputable small machines with much manual control.

To get results straight from the camera anything like the many beautiful landscapes you've posted, bahadir, I now have my new (6-month) Kodak Z712 superzoom set to 'Saturation-high'. This horrifies my photographically puritanical nature, but all these settings are just subject to the whim of the designers, in remarkably cheap cameras like mine.

Starting from Raw, you canbe just as puritanical or indulgent as suits your current artistic taste, or even have both! I look forward to seeing the results.

Happy twiddling, but please don't restrict your time spent out shooting!
Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:05 AM   #9

Alan, so nice to see you also here: )

I understand that that you've done an edit. So would you please let us to see it:idea:

Actually I don't like overly saturated pics, but I should also like to say that for years I was bored to see that grayish greens which I had to deal with at PS! This cameraseems to do justice to a wide range of green tones when exposed correctly, which is fortunately a non issue!
Quote:
Happy twiddling, but please don't restrict your time spent out shooting!
Yeah you're right! I also remember a friend in the forums warnedthat too much measurebating would make someone blind:G

Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:04 AM   #10

Well, I'm no expert, but here's what I got starting with your CS3 version.

I applied PSP's 'automatic contrast enhancement' at a 'mild', 'lighter'level (there are 3 controls, with 3 levels each, so 9 levels of 'automatic'). followed by the default 'automatic saturation enhancement' (middle setting of 3x3 different controls). I got different results according to the order in which Idid the two twiddles

There's no right answer, but I'm sure you'll find minor changes from the defaults in both your packages that would suit you. And it's all a matter of taste.

The advantageof these relativelyunsophisticated tools with only 3x3 dimensions of setting is that it's easy to keep records of what you've done, and avoid going round in circles, if you're lucky.

That's why I always aim for a nice finished jpeg from the camera if I can. But then I have little choice; I'm stuck with3x8-bit colour from the outset.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote