Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:58 AM   #1

i recently bought the K10D which shows version 1.0 and i am trying to update it to the 1.3 version

the page tell you how to download it to your computer

how to get it from sd card to the camera

but does not tell you how to get it from computer to sd card

H E L P
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2007, 3:55 AM   #2

I use card reader connected to my windows computer as a USB device.

Windows regards the SD card as just another drive, assinging a drive designation.

Then I copy the upgrade file from the hard drive to the drive that is the SD card using normal Windows file copy procedure.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 5:08 AM   #3

If you don't have a card reader, just use the USB lead that comes with the camera and copy it to the card that way. Unplug it afterwards and follow the instructions.

I don;t have a card reader, did that and it worked fine for me.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:51 AM   #4

Both methods (card readeror USB cable ) are mentioned above. Since my laptop has an SD card slot, I simply inserted the SD card and sent the firmware file on the desktop to the card. Then followed the rest of the instructions as follows:
Quote:
Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC131B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera.......

bla bla bla :-)................................................. ......

To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message "NOW LOADING" then the camera will display the firmware update menu.
Select "YES" using your camera's 4-way controller (the default is "NO") then press your camera's OK button.
The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a couple of minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.
When the update is complete, you will see "COMPLETE" on your camera's LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
Btw, also make sure that : )you formatted the SD card before theoperation!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:23 PM   #5

i dont have a card reader

i have no clue how to get the downloaded firmware from the computer to the camera

just before 2 they mention putting a formated card into camera, connecting your camera to computer and they stop there,

also they mention copy the above firmwear file to the root directoryin the sd card

what the heck is a root directory
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:03 PM   #6

What you need to do is use the cable that came with the camera to attach it to the computer. The computer will automatically recognize the SD card as another drive. You can see it - check "My Computer" (are you using a Mac or a PC? It will work the same regardless of computer, I think, though I only have a PC). If you are comfortable doing the "drag and drop" method of copying things, drag the file you extracted and put it on the icon for the SD card - it will copy it to the "root directory." They really just mean to make sure that you don't put the file in a folder - leave it at the top level of the card.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:45 PM   #7

thanks,, must send pentax an e mail on why they could not have just printed that

it brings back a memory when VCR machines were first marketed here they we actually giving out freeVCR tapes with every purchase on how to hook it up to your TV :?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:02 PM   #8

I was thinking about this today - I guess it all depends on your reference. I suspect the person who wrote the directions was a computer person. I figured out what they meant by "root directory" after reading it a couple of times, and then remembering my first ever experience with a computer. It was a PC in the pre-Windows days, and one of the first commands I learned was how to list the directory and how to change directories to sub-directories. I was so proud of myself for getting that down and watching all those lines scroll up my screen. I had no clue what all those things were, but it was fun anyway...

You'll find as you delve into the owners manual that it is long on "how-to" information, but rather short on "why-to" - they assume that you already understand why you would want to change something (this isn't just the K10's manual, which isn't all that different from the K100 or the DS manual).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:22 PM   #9

When we got a new mail system at work we had to install some software ourselves. The it guy handed out instructions in 20 steps. The first step was "get the boot in root P". I didn't pass step one...:roll::-).

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:45 PM   #10

get the boot in root p

why dont they just supply a hammer