Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:00 PM   #1

Hope this doesn't get obnoxious, but I think maybe one commenter said "Keep the shots coming" (!) This was actually a bit frustrating for me as a number of factors kept me from getting the shot I really wanted. First I had to pick up my wife from work and drop her off at the stable, then rush across town to try to get up on Sentinel Peak for the view. All freeway exits on I-10 through Tucson are closed for construction, so traffic was backed up for a quarter mile at each freeway underpass. By the time I got on top of the peak, got a parking spot, rushed up the trail and setup my tripod, the mountains, which had been flooded in pink, had lost all color. So I set up anyway, went to raise the center column on my cheapie travel tripod, and the plastic handle snapped off in my hand...one of those days. Anyway, this is my first try with RAW processing...please let me know what you think:

Todd
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:28 PM   #2

Sorry, not trying to be pushy. Could somebody just give me a thumbs up/thumbs down on these? Or do I assume that the resounding noise of crickets on this thread means they are poorly done/boring?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:13 PM   #3

i really like the first one. the second one i think the window passed on the perfect lighting, but i think you nailed it right in the first one anyways. the sky looks too blue and the ground looks too red for my tastes. i think if you would have waited a tad longer and had a darker sky, the picture may have had a little more pop with the city lighted up. the third shot is cool, i like the silhouette but whatever is to the left of the cactus looks out of place.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:16 PM   #4

but if you take out the sky and some of the clouds i think you could turn #2 into a winner. hope you don't mind. has more emphasis on the city... and i think that was the problem i had with #2 in the first place... i didn't know if the focus of the picture was the city lighted up or the sky and the clouds... for example on photo #1 i am drawn more to the pretty sky and clouds than i am to the city, but it works so well that they complement each other really well.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:34 PM   #5

HI tnaskedov

I have to agree with Ishino. Number 1 is Excellent. Number 2 is too saturated.
Number 3 is my absolute Fav.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:58 PM   #6

I like the second one, just as-is. The first onehas better lighting, but I like the colors in the second one, and especially the contrast of the sky and the city. It really is in many ways two pictures in one (ishino makes valid points) but I would be happy to have taken this and wouldn't change it at all.

I can't quite decide about the third one - I think I would have changed the exposure a bit so there wasn't as much light at the right corner (but then you would probably have lost the cactus in the dark sky at the top). Or perhaps moved just a bit so you didn't get quite so much of it (but still kept that last orange glow on the horizon). Or else exposure bracketed and tried and tried to combine them to tone down the lighter part, without losing the silhouette of the cactus, or that lovely dark blue sky. This is a difficult shot and you've done very well with it -as well as you could have without doing a lot of extra work, I think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:42 AM   #7

Hi Todd,

I think I was one of the ones that asked for you to post - as you said, "see you in 6 months" after getting the camera.....

Well since I live just up the road an hour from you, in downtown Tumbleweed, I know exactly what you mean, that you felt a bit late getting to the light show and #1 was just catching the last of it as the sun slipped away. I also like #2 in that you can see the transition from the sun going down at dusk to the city starting to light up for the evening and I think the statium lights comming on at UA.

The red and purple cast to the images is just exactly Aridzona is like when the sun sets. Unfortunately, here in the Phoenix area, there is too much light polution in the metro area to get the brillant blues in the sky just at sunset as shown in the third one. These are very good!

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:21 AM   #8

Ishino:

Thanks, I don't mind at all! I actually have a couple that were originally taken like the one you put up. I was trying to auto bracket, but was having problems. Don't know what I was doing wrong, but I'm guessing it was because of tripod/2-sec timer and I needed to pushshutter buttonthree times. Anyway, a couple of the pics I got are overexposed, I think. #2 might have been one of them. I appreciate the input! In #3 the item to the left of cactus is actually another cactus, just a really knobby version (no arms, just nubs).

Todd
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:24 AM   #9

Black Knight (awesome name):

I was trying to emphasize the city lights coming on in #2, which is where the saturation comes in (I think). I sometimes have a habit of trying to get too much going on in a picture, so I probably could have left more sky out (as Ishino's edit shows).

Todd
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:33 AM   #10

Observer,

Yeah, the sunsets are almost always gorgeous here in AZ, but the clouds really make the colors work...and who know when we'll get clouds again...hence my frustration. Was up your way tonight, watched the D'Backs get thumped in Game 1. Thanks for checkin' out my pics and commenting. Intrusive question: do you have any online Arizona galleries posted? I'd like to see where you find good photo subjects down in this part of the country!

Todd