Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

i got a second chance offer from an ebay auction on a lens i was bidding on. the e-mail came from [email protected] but had a reply address to [email protected], the second chance offer instructed me to contact the seller at this address if I would like to make the purchase.

i did two things, first contact the seller and make sure it was a genuine offer. second i searched for an ebay account with that e-mail address. both came back negative. beware out there and be careful!

Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 3:40 PM   #2

You should notify Ebay

Sometimes poeple have more than one accout so they can bit on there own auctions jacking up the price then they give thiss secound chance to the highest bidder
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:26 PM   #3

Whenever you get a suspicious message purporting to be from ebay, check your "my ebay" page. If the message is legitimate,ebay willhave placeda copy in your mailbox. Forward a copy of the message to "spoof at ebay.com" and they will follow up on it, confirming to you by email thatit is fraudulent..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:32 PM   #4

Unfortunately eBay has become a gathering place for the scum of the earth. It is almost too the point that you can't trust any of the sellers, most of the buyers or eBay themselves. It is no wonder they are getting in trouble from companies that want them to do more to stop the counterfit stuff. Why should eBay do that, it just means less fees for them.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:11 PM   #5

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately eBay has become a gathering place for the scum of the earth. It is almost too the point that you can't trust any of the sellers, most of the buyers or eBay themselves. It is no wonder they are getting in trouble from companies that want them to do more to stop the counterfit stuff. Why should eBay do that, it just means less fees for them.

Robert
Hey...Watch that Scum thang....I resemble that remark!!! No honestly...This is Fake??? Oh my Lord.....Where did I put that poison now..........

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6

when i first started buying on ebay i was getting a lot of these ,

was told by e baythat these transactions were not ligimate and to foward the e mail to them as this could assist them to track these culprits down.

funny enough they still kept coming, so i started replying to them (Cons) thanking them forsending their email addresses as i havethe FBI scanning their emails, and they will be caught, and have not got one in over a year

amazing what a little bullshit can do
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:37 PM   #7

any time paypal or ebay sends something, which is seldom, your actual name will be included. i get something like this all the time. i forward it to
spoof @ ebay. com or spoof @paypal.com.. it's easy to do and hopefully will help.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:25 PM   #8

I too use the spoof addresses. However, it doesn't seem to help. Honstly I don't like eBay or PayPal cares. Unless it is going to cost them a large sum of money they could careless.

If they did care about their customers and those that buy and use their service they would do a lot more to stop the selling of fake memory cards, fake designer handbags, perfumes, shoes, etc.

The fact that they have to be gone after in court to stop such things I think makes who they care about perfectly clear.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 2:44 PM   #9

Knew about second people who drive up the price, didn't knew about that second chance scam.
Thanks for posting this warning
Old May 9, 2009, 4:12 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

E-bay used to be a place (many years ago) where you could actually get items for a decent price. Today however, most items end up selling for at least market price and I've often wondered if there are bidding "bots" out there that are set up by sellers to bid the price up...especially during the last hours of the auction. At (say 5% less than) market price, why buy from an unknown entity on e-bay when you can buy from a reputable house like B&H, Amazon, etc and get the full manufacturer's warranty and outstanding customer service. Interestingly, this pricing escalation has apparently spilled over into neighborhood garage sales where one used to be able to find good bargains. I read recently that folks set the price of garage sale items based on what items are listed/selling on e-bay...go figure! I no longer buy, sell, nor even browse e-bay. Local selling and buying on Craig's list has worked out as a "much more better" alternative for me.

Last edited by Wingman; May 9, 2009 at 6:41 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote