Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1

We had some light rain last night (not a big storm, just some soft rain that is badly needed). We don't get that much rain (most of our precipitation is snow), and we don't often get dew (too dry - we are on the edge of a desert) so I go hunting raindrops whenever I can. The most common spiders around here don't spin pretty webs (like the ones that Rick occasionally posts) - their webs tend to be more like a thin sheet.

Raindrops trapped on a spider web:

A closer look:

These drops are very small - I took these with the Vivitar 105mm macro and it was somewhere between 1:1.5 and 1:1.2 - about as close as I can get to 1:1 while using the flash.

Closer still:

I was really pleased with this whole series. As you can tell, I was fascinated by drops on the spider web.

A couple of drops on the plant that the spider web was attached to.

This one was taken in a different location. It's a rain drop that is on aweed thatwas beside the road - not something you would normally photograph.

All of these were taken with the K10 and the Vivitar Series One 105mm macro lens. Most of them are either 100% crops or close to it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:38 AM   #2

Some amazing shots, especially the third one. Very surreal stuff. Good work.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:54 AM   #3

Spectacular, Harriet! Thesegets me thinking about the glass art from the botanical gardens posted some months ago, even if they aren't the same at all. Talk of seeing the beauty in small details! Even though I do appreciate most of your shots, these are amongst the best you've shown since I joined!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:41 AM   #4
TDN

Very nice captures!

I like the first one the most, they almost look like diamonds...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the compliments - it was fun trying to take them, and even more fun to look at how they came out on the monitor.

They were all taken using the on-board flash - I could see how having a flash off the camera at a different angle would have added a different dimension perhaps (some day I'll get a flash). Most pictures were taken using the shaft of my monopod for extra support.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:08 PM   #6

Very nice, Harriet -- and original.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 1:26 PM   #7

I took some similar shots the other day when I took my spider shots. Actually, if you look at the spider he has a few water drops on him, hehe.

Anyway, your's look way better than mine though! :-)
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:22 PM   #8

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
I took some similar shots the other day when I took my spider shots. Actually, if you look at the spider he has a few water drops on him, hehe.

Anyway, your's look way better than mine though! :-)
That Vivitar 105 is sure delivering some fine photos...But it is you and your ability to not only see these but deliver them that to me is special...Bravo and hooray. For those are some magnificent photos. Thank you for allowing me and others to see them...They do inspire me to try harder.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:35 PM   #9

It's amazing how many things there are to photograph, especially when you have a macro lens. The Vivitar is really nice, and it matches well to the K10, which I'm now able touse reliability again (as long as I pay attention to all the advice Scott gave me). I might havepaid more than somefor it, but it's been worth every pennyto me. I can't thank all of you enough for giving me advice and help when it comes to all things photography. I don't know how much I'll be on-line for the next couple of days - there was a horrible accident that has one of the freeways closed for several days (hope that's all it will be). It's one of those bottlenecks that I have to go through so we are staying near work for a couple of nights, and internet service is going to be hit-or-miss until I get home, I think.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:25 PM   #10

i love your sixth photo

it looks like it is from beyond this planet
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote