Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1
KVP

I'm using my istDS for 2 years now, still with the kit lens. I would like to replace it with either the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) or the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO. When reading some reviews I understand the Tamron performs better but does anyone of you have some experience with these lenses? I know the Sigma is wider but the 2.8 from the Tamron seems attractive too.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2

depends on why you need the lens. are you looking formore reach beyond the kit lens?are you looking for a lens with afaster aperture? are you looking for something just to replace your kit lens?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:25 AM   #3
KVP

Hi Ishino,

I'm looking for a lens to replace the kit lens in order to have a little more range, but above all a faster aperture because I don't really have a steady hand.

Regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 1:28 PM   #4

I would go with the Tamron then. Overall it is a tad longer than the Sigma by 5mm, has a constant 2.8 aperture throughout the entire range and is an internal focusing lens. Something to consider might be upgrading to the K100D, with it's shake reduction.A new lens or the new body will be in about the same neighborhood price wise give or take a few bucks. That actually might help more than a faster lens.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:11 PM   #5
TDN

I agree with ishino, the Tamron would be my pick here too. Keep your kit lens for the wider shots, as you can usually take a slower shutter speed there.

The idea of upgrading to a body with SR isn't bad either, especially if you have a lot of shots with motion blur...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 2:59 PM   #6

Since you will still have the kit lens (and at the wide end camera shake is less pronounced) I would go with the Tamron for its f2.8 at 75mm end.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:33 PM   #7

Hi Conrad,

I just had a chance to work with both of these lenses at my 40th high school reunion.

I started out with the Sigma 17-70, figuring that the extra range at the wide end would be convenient, and since I was going to be using an external flash for most shots that the speed difference at the long end wouldn't hurt too much. I planned to shoot mostly at f8 so the bit of extra DOF would cover a lot of slight focus mistakes, so the max aperture wouldn't have much effect from an exposure standpoint.

After the sun set and things moved inside the hotel, I rediscovered how much difference max aperture speed effects other factors in shooting -- primarily focus speed in low light and being able to easily see what I was shooting. I had to rely on AF mostly, since the lights were pretty dim in there, and the 1.5 stop difference in max aperture made a huge difference at the long end of the FL range (which I used more often than not as I decided that I wanted individual head shots more than group pics).
Pretty early on, I switched to the Tamron 28-75/2.8 to take advantage of the extra speed at the long end, and I ended up sticking with it because it really handled the job well (as usual). There's a reason why this FL range/ max aperture speed combo is favored by wedding shooters -- it's just about the perfect people lens, even with the crop factor.

The Sigma is very good at what it does -- provide a nice. fast wide angle to short tele zoom with very good image quality, a very wide FL range, and nice close focusing ability -- a great utility lens. The Tamron 28-75/2.8 lacks the real wide angle capability, but does a superior job of shooting people in the short standard to medium portrait range, especially in lower light conditions.

Every lens probably has its shortcomings in different situations -- you really have to look at your style of shooting and see where you stand. With the kit lens, do you mainly shoot at the wide end (18-28mm) or at the longer end (28-55mm)? If you tend to shoot more wide, then I'd say the Sigma would be more useful, and you'd get the extra reach over the kit lens when you need it. If you tend to shoot more at the longer end, and wouldn't much miss the wide coverage (or keep the kit lens for the wide end), then I'd say that you might be happier with the Tamron. I personally like the look and feel of the Tamron much better, but that's totally a subjective thing.

There is a program --" Exposure Plot "-- that will anyalyse your FL use and plot graphs. It's free and available at:

http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/

might be useful in making your decision.

They are both terrific lenses, but different (that, and a world class case of LBA, are the reasons that I have both) -- you'll do well with either, but one might fit better than the other for your purposes.

For me, the Sigma is too new (to me) to have gained a permanent spot in my kit but I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have a good shot. The Tamron was the first lens I bought after getting the kit lens with the body, and has easily earned it's place in my "drag it from my cold dead hands" category.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote