Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:20 PM   #1

I know the Pentax 18-250 isn't available just yet. But after reading some information on this lens and after comparing the specifications for the Pentax 18-250 and the Tamron 18-250 I am wondering if the Pentax one is just a rebranded Tamron?

Any one?

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:53 PM   #2

Hi Robert,

My understanding is that the Pentax will be a rebadged Tamron, and should be pretty much the same lens with some minor cosmetic differences and the addition of SMC.

But consider that this is just "the word" that's going around, so there's probably no definitive answer at this point.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:18 PM   #3

What does SMC mean in this context?

I find this interesting I thought Pentax did most of there lenses. Now I have to decided if I should wait for the one eith the Pentax name on it or go for the tamron.

Robert
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:47 PM   #4

Hi Robert,

SMC= Super Multi Coated. Pentax's proprietary lens coatings are considered by most to be one of the best ever developed. If the lens is good to start off with, SMC should make it better.

Scott

Edit: Some things to consider in waiting for the Pentax version -- The Pentax will probably be more expensive, but will likely hold its value better. It might be different mechanically, and might have Quick Shift focusing, which to me would be a significant advantage in use.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 7:56 PM   #5

Ok, what is quick shift focusing?

Robert
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:28 PM   #6

Quick shift focusing applies if you use autofocus. Once the AF mechanism completes focusing, it disengages the clutch so you can fine tune the focus manually. Think of it like MF ability attached to AF.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:49 PM   #7

Got it thanks. Well, since I have had horrible luck with Tamron and Sigma I think I will wait for the Pentax. All of my other lenses and Pentax so no point in adding a black sheep to the flock.

Robert
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:09 PM   #8

i read that the da 18-250 will not have quick shift.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:36 AM   #9

Still it will hit the very best of the focal range and the SMC will only improve it. Saying that I'll wait till someone has one and can tell the truth of the matter.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:11 AM   #10

Just adding my 2 cents. Years ago Minolta came out with a 35-135 (I think. It may have been a 35 to 105) that was actually made by Tokina. There was a big stink about it in Photography magazine. Herbert Keppler, one of their main writers, did a story on it and came up with the following. He said that the Minolta lens indeed was made by Tokina. Then he added that the Tokina lenses made for Minolta hadto go through more stringent specification testing and quality controlthan Tokinaused for their own lenses. So, even though the Minolta lenslooked the same as the Tokina, it was, in fact, better.Was that just a magazine protecting its advertising budget? Maybe, but I think the Minota was a higher quality lens and most likely the same will be true of this Tamronbeing manufactured for Pentax.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote