Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:29 PM   #1

I've been planning to replace my old camera bag as it is just too small for my GX-10 and lenses (only 2 of them but I'd like to keep my flash and battery charger and various cables and spare battery, etc in one place). As I had Monday off work I decided to head off to London and visit a few shops to see what is available. I had intended to ge the Lowepro Slingshot 200 but the thought occurred that sometimes I have a backpack on so buying another backpack wasn't necessarily the correct choice.

So several shops later I found a whole 2 shoulder bags that would be big enouigh. One was a H-U-G-E Lowepro that was sooooo expensive it didbn't have a price on it and the other was the Nova 4 which seemed OK. Rather than just buy the only bag available I decided that I could use the Nova 4 as a base for more investigation on the net. Just as well, the shop price was 69.95GBP - for a bag that has a RRP of 49GBP. I can only assume that as this shop was on Tottenham Court Road the hope is that no-one notices that they have been ripped off and if they do it would be a quick "Oops, sorry! It has been incorrectly priced".

So no bag; yet.

Before I buy the Nova 4 (or maybe 5, think ahead) does anyone here have any experience of these bags or alternatives?

The day wasn't wasted as a stroll through the capital armed with my GX-10 was rather nice. A couple of examples:

And of course, you've already seen a certain statue's bottom.

There is a set of 50 photos on Flickr complete with some additional info against each photo

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:08 PM   #2

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
So no bag; yet.

Before I buy the Nova 4 (or maybe 5, think ahead) does anyone here have any experience of these bags or alternatives?
I have a very old Nova 2, and both a Nova 3 and a Nova 5 from the last (non-AW) generation of Lowepro bags. The Nova 2 holds a body and two lenses but little more, and excellent bag for travelling light. My wife Annette has a Nova 3 with one camera (with 18-55 attached),an FA 100-300, an FA 28-80mm and two boxes of Cokin filters. I have the Nova 5 which is an excellent bag but it has been relegated to holding my flash gear (two Vivitar 285 flash units, two AC slaves along with mounts for light stands and umbrellas, extra battery packs, a Strobo frame flash bracket and numerous odds and ends, it still isn't full). Why don't I use it? Well my wife got me a Microtrekker 200 with a *istDL for Christmas 2005 so that is where my camera gear now resides (although the Nova 5 will hold more). All major manufacturers, such asTamrac, Domke andCrumpler, have excellent shoulder bags, but I have a soft spot for Lowepro since it was the first "quality" camera bag I owned.

I think the Nova 5 would be a good choice because it will swallow a lot of gear and is quite user friendly.

The right hand image is the Nova 5.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:48 PM   #3

KeithW

I currently own several bags. I started out with a Tamrac Digital model 5674 which i love, But i quickly Out grew it. I Next purchased a Lowepro Slingshot 100. This bag holds all my gear nicely and is also a Great bag.
However, I have recently ( Among my other health Issues) have devoloped a bad back. To this end I have stopped using the Slingshot 100 since it DOES aggravate my back. I Now Will take the Slingshot if i am going somewhere Close to my car. If not, I will take the Tamrac and carry just the gear i will Need.
I also have a LowePro Rezo 120aw Which i use at Family gatherings etc. Where I have no Need to carry extra lenses ETC.

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:51 PM   #4

I have a Lowepro Orion Trekker II:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...rekker_II.aspx

Got it free with my Digital Camera Magazine subscription, and it's absolutely terrible, I cannot for one second think that someone into photography designed this, unless it was an exercise in how to not make a camera bag...
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:01 PM   #5

I had the Lowepro Slingshot 200. While I found it to be a very nice bag, I also found it to be a bit cumbersome and ended up taking it off to get items from it. Most of the time.

I sold it and purchased a Lowepro Micro Trekker 100.

I have my K100D w/18-55(or16-45), a 70-300, DA 50-200 my AF540FGZ w/sto-fen.

In the front zippered compartment, I carry an Eneloop charger and extra batteries along with a filter wallet, cable switch, note pad and a few other accessories.

Personally, I find it to be quite adequate and much easier for me to use than the Slingshot 200.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:42 PM   #6

I have a Slingshot 200 and I'm not particularly fond of it. Only had it about 2 weeks and readyto go back to a shoulder bag. The slingshot is a great design and my wife wears it wonderfully, BUT it doesn't go particularly well with bigger people. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am too fat for the bag. LOL. If your not really healty, then the slingshot is awesome!

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:01 AM   #7

I have the Slingshot 200 and love it! It fits my arthritic back reasonably well, and is much kinder to my shoulders than the Tamrac bag I started out with. The Tamrac holds more stuff than you would expect, but is too small for my longer lenses, and it's big enough that I can overload my shoulder (I have a lingering shoulder problem that was probably caused by lugging a very heavy bag full of ice hockey equipment around for a couple of years). I've had no problems retrieving most things without taking the bag off.

I really wanted to get one of the Lowepro harnesses - you can buy individual pouches to go on them so you can carry the camera on your front, and have the weight of the lenses spread out on the harness, so you don't have all of the weight on one shoulder. However, they don't make one small enough to fit me (I'm really small and their small size would fit a small man, not a tiny woman).

I've tried a variety of combinations, since I day hike. I've managed a hydration pack with the slingshot over it, and I'm small enough that I can make the slingshot's strap long enough, but it's not really comfortable. I also tried a camera fanny pack turned around to the front for easy access and the hydration pack, but I'm not tall enough - the pack rested on the fanny pack's strap/buckle which dug into my back. Now I just take a water bottle in a pouch and attach it to the slingshot's strap, along with (occasionally) the GPS in it's case. It seems to be the most manageable combination for me.

P.S. I like the pictures!

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:50 PM   #8

The big advantage of Lowepro and Tamrac is that they have an add-on system (Lowepro calls theirs "sliplock"). Here is a picture showing my camera and lenses, my open Micro Trekker 200 and the same bagclosed with a slip lock lens case and water bottle attached and a Slik tripod strapped to the bottom. It isn't convenient when moving around a lot (a shoulder bag or Slingshot is better for that) but it is comfortable to carry and very flexible in configuration.

Ira

By the way, BBA (bag buying addiction) is probably even more rampant than LBA.

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:25 PM   #9

Thanks folk.

I think I've decided on the Nova 5. Having seen and touched the Nova 4 I'll go for it's bigger brother. I don't actually ned a bag that big but one day ...

And it'll all be the fault of the various people on this forum who keep posting amazing shots with all these fantastic lenses. Once I've won the lottery (or robbed a bank) I can start to fill the Nova 5!

Thanks again

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote