Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

Hello All,

I am new to buying a lens for my K10D. I have the lens that came with the camera. Now I want to upgrade. Not huge, but still an upgrade.

Is there a better brand of lens?

Sigma, Phoenix, Tamron, Tokina, Pentax, Other?

I am looking for a Regular lens and a Macro lens.

Money you ask? I have no idea....how much do these things cost?

No more than $300.00 each. Is that not enough?

Thank you all.
medonald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:30 PM   #2

the other day i owned a konica minolta D5 and 5 lenses, got a great sale for it and decided to start over, with great helpfrom this site was convinced and have been very pleased with the K10D, with my experience i decided to start off with the 16-50 F2.8 zoom lens, , a little expensive, but the reason i am telling you all ofthis,

is because, when i had the minolta, 3 of the lenses were around 16-50 each costing $300.00 each so i hope you see my angle

wait a bit, buy something good,

dafiryde
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:37 PM   #3

If you can find a Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 Macro lens jump on it....They are manual lenses but for Macro's that is what you want anyway. Mine went for $261 including shipping new but the likelyhood of finding one for that is swiftly dimenishing.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:12 PM   #4

medonald1 wrote:
Quote:
Hello All,

I am new to buying a lens for my K10D. I have the lens that came with the camera. Now I want to upgrade. Not huge, but still an upgrade.

Is there a better brand of lens?

Sigma, Phoenix, Tamron, Tokina, Pentax, Other?

I am looking for a Regular lens and a Macro lens.

Money you ask? I have no idea....how much do these things cost?

No more than $300.00 each. Is that not enough?

Thank you all.
Welcome to the forum. It would probably not be accurate to say that there is a "better" brand of lens. Just understand that most of the better known brands of lenses have low, middle, and high end lines, all of which have prices to match.

If by "regular" lens you mean a 50mm, I do not believe there is a better priced option than the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4. Pentax makes a number of highly regarded prime lenses but the 50mm is one of the fastest and most affordable and it has an excellent reputation to boot.

For a macro lens take your pick. If your interest is insects, look for a 90mm-105mm lens. Auto focus is not that important for macro photography. Plenty of choices available on both the used and new market. You should have no problem coming in under your $300 mark and most anything you find from a major lens maker will do a good job.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:18 PM   #5

As has been pointed out, the brand doesn't mean all that much - all of the various makers have put out excellent lenses, and also really awful ones.

For macro lenses, there are a number of excellent options out there. I also have the Vivitar Series One 105mm macro lens - mine is auto exposure/manual focus. I highly recommend it, but it is heavier than some other macro lenses. Of the ones currently made, I think the Tamron 90mm has a very slight edge - at least from some of the pictures I've seen posted here - but either the Sigma or Pentax 100mm macros will give you outstanding pictures. If you want to compromise, you can look for a lowly Phoenix 100mm 3.5 macro lens (B&H was carrying them new for under $150 a year ago). It's not very expensive because it is made of lightweight plastic, but the optics hold their own against any of the other macros - it'smain disadvantage is that it comes with a "matched adaptor" (as in dioper filter) to go to 1:1. They've discontinued the AF version (the one I have) which is no loss - the AF mechanism is also flimsy and the lens hunts more than any other AF lens I have (I used it a couple of times and gave it up as a lost cause - it works great as a manual focus lens).

I also second the idea of getting the best lens you can afford - I have a couple of really good lenses and it makes a difference. There's just a quality to the pictures that lesser lenses don't have. Having said that, I still use the kit lens for most of my wide-angle needs(though I do have a 24mm 2.8 manual lens as a fasteralternative). Most of my pictures are 50mm and longer, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote