Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:07 PM   #1

I've read that the shutter mechanism is rated for about 100,000 cycles, not sure exactly which camera that is from. But I was just wondering what happens to them? And if anyone has had one fail? I of course tend to take many many more pictures with my DSLR, should I start to get stingy if I want this one to last many years?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:25 PM   #2

That rating is for the K10D. I haven't hit that yet!

Eddie
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:25 PM   #3

nope, haven't worn mine out yet.

but 100,000 is quite a bit. if you break it down, if you take 100 shots per week every week for 19.23 years, that will be 100K shots. if you take 1,000 shots per month, every month for 8.33 years that will be 100K shots. i'm not worried.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 5:58 PM   #4

Of course this is all a best guess by Pentax, one could last far less or far longer. It isn't really something I worry about. However, if I buy a used camera I will try to get a general idea of how many shots it has on it and base a price on that.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:34 PM   #5

I just got my istDL back from the shop, but I don't think it was the shutter mechanism that got me. My problem was in the button, it was sticking in the focus position (half depressed). I'm not exactly sure what they did to my camera. It's working now, but the button still feels weird. I've had the DL for 18 months and I'm working on 25,000 pictures, but I use it in my job as a newspaper reporter.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6

The rating for the DS, DL, K100 and K110 is only 50,000. Not sure about the D, but I'm guess it might have the 100,000 shot shutter too.

...and to answer your question... Nope... I haven't hit the breaking point on any of my old Pentax dSLR's.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:16 PM   #7

I had the shutter on my KX fail, after about twenty years.

The local camera shop fixed it fairly quickly and I used it for a few more years until I succumbed and went digital.

I did not use it as much as I do my DS so I would expect that to fail after may be ten years.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:09 AM   #8

I guess my next question would be... is it fixable and at what cost? Is it one of those things that if it blows, the camera is already old to begin with so put your money into a new one, or breath new life into the old one.

This makes me a little sceptical (?) of buying a used camera now, someone could have a fairly new camera but have used it for a lot of weddings or product shots and now it's on it's way out.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:55 AM   #9

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
I guess my next question would be... is it fixable and at what cost? Is it one of those things that if it blows, the camera is already old to begin with so put your money into a new one, or breath new life into the old one.

This makes me a little sceptical (?) of buying a used camera now, someone could have a fairly new camera but have used it for a lot of weddings or product shots and now it's on it's way out.
I think that even on heavy use, then it will last 5 years minimum.

Don't forget that Pentax, like all maufaturers, have to err on the side of caution.

They may expect to get 120,000 shots, but play safe with 100k.

I think you would be safe with a used model.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:01 PM   #10

Your question seems relevant to me, but keep in mind that many sellers of a camera sell it because they discovered that they have used it very little. Maybe it was a Christmas gift or so, and now the seller wants to get some money back to buy something more entertaining. You can find a used DS that actually haven't been used at all.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote