Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:33 PM   #11

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Going price for a used one can be from $150-$300 US on Ebay...Just according to how much you want it and how much your wallet can stand. The steady heavy tripod will take the shake out of those close macros and deliver quality sharp photos....

Dawg
and here i am and thought the $140 i spent on mine was expensive. that was a couple of years ago tho.
i've never used a tripod for macros. it seems to be very limited at what you can get. here's what i have. all it is is a 1/2'' x 6' fiberglass pole for plant supports. about $3 at home depot. i painted about 20'' of the upper part with some brush-on rubber grip and it works great in the left hand as a portable/adjustable monpod. google lordV. that's who i got the idea from.

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:02 PM   #12

The AF on the Phoenix isn't worth the extra cost (my opinion, I used to have one). The lens hunts quite a bit, there's no limiter so it takes forever to focus compared to most lenses, no clutch so you can't hand-focus if it doesn't focus right, and (my opinion) the mechanism sounds flaky. I almost always used mine as a manual focus lens - which ispretty easy to do, since it is so sharp.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:05 PM   #13

The choice of manual or AF lenses of course depends on ones personal needs and preferences. Although I have not done any side-by-side comparisons, Ihave not noticeda problem with the AF Phoenix/Promaster lens that does not exist with any other lens I have used, except perhaps its light weight, which could affect operatorsteadiness. It seems to me that hunting is a function of inability of the camera to get a focus lock on the subject - it is the camera that hunts, not the lens. Inability to get a focus lock can berelated to any of several factors - DOF, aperture, steadiness of the hand, subject motion, contrast, lens to subject distance, focal length, focusarea,etc., and I can usually attribute hunting problems to one of these factors. With any lens, there are situations in which manual focus is preferable, and the same goes for auto focus, so Irarely use a lens without that feature, as photography in the field is rarely predictable, and I hate to miss opportunities because of equipment limitations. With the Pentas bocies switching between manual and AF is so easy, that the lack of a focus limiter can be overcome by prefocusing roughly in manual and then throwing the switch to AF and you are right in the proper range.

That said, and I am only guessing here, but I can see that the gearing of the focus mechanism of a lens should be matched with that of the camera to achieve an optimum speed to focus increment ratio. If a lens is designed to match only one body and only the mount is changed for another, then autofocus performance could vary from one brand of camera to another and this might account for the differences of opinions we sometimes see for some lenses. If the focus incrementsdo not properly matchthe depth of field at a particular distance, then I can see that focus lock could be hit-or-miss, andshifting to manual focus would be necessary.

I havethe older Pentax M100 and Tamron 90 Adaptall manual macros. I only purchased the Promaster used (like new) for $80 as a stopgap until I could find a good buy on a "better AF lens" but have been so satisfied with it for my purposes, I have felt no pressure to replace it. I would prefer it had a more substantial feel to it, but within the limitations of the material, thereseems to benothing wrond with its build quality, but you can't help but feel you have to be careful and not treat it roughly. The Phoenix brandedlens is no longer available in AF mounts; either all have been discontinued and there are only manual mounts left, or only the AF has been discontinued - if the latter, then there might be a high failure rate or variation in manufacturing tolerances. The performance of my Promaster example so far has been flawless.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:12 PM   #14

all well said but when you are talking DOF of under 1'' at 1:1 i've found that AF is more a liability than an asset unless you are shooting a flat surface. of course if you use a tripod in a static situation i can see how it might save the time it takes to manual focus but what difference does it make??nothing is moving.. i'm only making a statement about AF macro use. i'd like my 105mm to be AF when i use it for other than macro work but alas it isn't.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 7:47 PM   #15

For static work such as flowers or documents or pieces of wood or textures or for portraits of things or people that aren't going to move, the tripod will work in almost all situations and give better photos...If you are talking of insects or small creatures given to moving around then hand held will do better as it will allow you to follow the little fellers around.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:32 AM   #16

Pardon me for butting in, but I am in the process of selling a few lenses, and I wonder if you can tell me if the macro below would work with my new K100d? Wolf/Ritz said it would not, but now I'm starting to wonder. I realize if the lens will mount it will not have AE or AF, but otherwise do you know if I can mount it and use it manually?

I used this Vivitar on a Ricoh film SLR, model KR-5 Super in the mid 1990s. It took very good pictures of coins, etc. If it won't work at all with the K100d then this lens is getting sold or traded! <g>

Vivitar brand 1:1 Macro Telephoto f2.8 100mm. I also have two zoom lenses I used on the Ricoh that I'm going to sell for sure, but I'd like to hang onto the macro if it will work with my Pentax.

PS - I realize I should have confirmed I could not use the lens prior to posting it for sale. My mistake but I MAY have been mininformed at Wolf <GRRRR>
papersniper is offline   Reply With Quote