Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:52 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
These are lovely pictures of Canadian geese. It's interesting to see the size of the birds compared to what looks like a red eared slider on the log. Really like them.

I never noticed the turtles were Red` Eared Sliders until you mentioned that fact. They are not native to Canada (more of a South East US turtle) and as you know were the most popular turtles in the pet trade.

These ones have descended from pet trade turtles (or maybe they were pets) . Red Eared Sliders have become a serious invasive species problem up here in Canada as they tend to push out the native painted, turtles (not the Common Snapper, though).
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:48 PM   #12

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
¬*I never noticed the turtles were Red` Eared Sliders until you mentioned that fact. They are not native to Canada (more of a South East US turtle) and as you know were the most popular turtles in the pet trade.

¬*These ones have descended from pet trade¬* turtles (or maybe they were pets) . Red Eared Sliders have become a serious invasive species problem up here in Canada as they tend to push out the native painted,¬* turtles (not the Common Snapper, though).
I have not thought of that. Sound right as some of these pet turtle got back into wilderness. For the Asian, there is no way that the turtle be killed after the kids have grown up (or for whatever reason). Turtles are considered to be long-live creature. So they were released into an eco system that may not be able to handle their influx.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:53 AM   #13
TDN

Nice again Daniel!

Your getting the hang of this bird photography

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:45 AM   #14

Wonderful photos Daniel. We'll not have many staying here this winter as the drought has limited the grass for grazing and the water for protection.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:54 PM   #15

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
We, too, have some geese around all year. Not sure why some stay and some go south.
Geese will remain as long as there is food available. Where geese are fed, their migrations are interrupted.There is a small flock of Canada geese in a small city park lake near my home that have become year-round residents as they are fed daily by people along with the many ducks.One race of Canada Geese - the Giant Canada Goose - once thought extinct from overhunting was "discovered" not many years ago on the lakefront in Chicage having been fed by people for an untold number of years.

It ia a misconception that birds migrate to escape the cold - they migrate because food is no longer available. Nonmigratory birds like the Cardinal have extended their range northward because of the winter availability of bird feeders in so many yards.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:51 PM   #16

Got my landing and taking off picture easily now with my manual lens . For birds smaller than seagulls (like sparrow, chickadees ) I still have problem or maybe that is the glass ceiling of this type of tracking birds.

I do not want to use focus trap method (or waiting for birds to fall into focus area around a feeder). It takes the fun out of the whole business.

Not much can beat the gratification and satisfaction of having a fast moving bird tracked in focus for a few precious seconds.

These were obtained amongst the other keepers just Sunday past

Daniel, Toronto
p.s. 2 more pict uploaded Monday night
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:33 PM   #17

Fantastic images Daniel, you have certainly become proficient with your manual focus tracking.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:39 PM   #18

The second one of this last set looks more like a time delay series of one bird taking off, rather than 3 birds. They are wonderful, but I really love the second one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:11 AM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The second one of this last set looks more like a time delay series of one bird taking off, rather than 3 birds.¬* They are wonderful, but I really love the second one.
Oh gush. I got it now. If you look at the actual pict in my pbase site (last 3 pict), the shutter speed of the 3 are 1/500, 1/1600s & 1/2000 respectively at av within 3 second. That proves for this type of pict, I should have used manual rather than Av to give me more frame per second. There should be 3 per second (as shown in my manual bif shots). Obviously the camera was hesitant. And such hesitancy will only be worse if I had it in AF waiting for focus confirmation. Manual mode wins all. Period.
I started off with manual exposure anyway (for this type of bif shots) thinking that was the best. It is proven.
Also I found out that the first one at 1/500 can barely cope with the shake created by me pressing the shutter . (SR off obviosuly for this type of shots) It is more blurry than the next 2 pict. Also maybe I have more finetuned the focus of the last 2 as it will take me a moment to nail the subject in focus.
The pace of the landing geeses was not that fast. It is a lot more difficult to shoot landing pictures than taking off picture as I had no clue where the geeses might land.

It is fun going back to all these fundementals. And above all pushing to extreme limit of my lens and camera.

Pentax manual should have stated that for getting 3 fps, you need to get to all manual.

Daniel , Toronto
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:30 AM   #20

Ira & Harriet,

Thanks for taking time to comment. They are landing not taking off.

The earlier one also looks like time delay or PS work too

I wish I had the P S skill to do that

Daniel